Imperial Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbb63

Reaction score
"Doris Get Her Oats", kicking around this modification of one of my stout recipes and wonder if I am using too much oat grains. Even with one pound of rice hulls am I looking a stuck mash? FYI, I do plan on roasting the Flaked Oats but not the Malted Oats. I am looking for a big bodied, creamy and slick sticky stout, showing off the oats character.

13 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (60.47 %)
2 lbs Oats, Malted (9.30 %)
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (4.65 %)
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (4.65 %)
1 lbs Pale Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Roasted Barley
1 lbs Victory Malt
8.0 oz Turbinado Sugar (2.33 %)

1 lbs Rice Hulls

1.00 oz Cascade (60 min)
1.00 oz Simcoe (60 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent (60 min)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent (5 min)

1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) [Starter Required]

Single Infusion, Full Body
Beer Smith Stats:
Est Original Gravity: 1.092
Est Final Gravity: 1.025
Est Alcohol by Vol: 8.76 %
Est Bitterness: 69.2 IBU
Est Color: 45.3 SRM

thanks for any feedback in advance,
Mike

I'd drink it. I don't think 3 lbs of oats will cause too much of a problem lautering. A big stout without crystal is up my alley, should be interesting to see how the toastiness from the MO, toasted oats, and Victory come together. Not sure you need the flaked barley with all the oats, but it won't hurt.

Good luck.

I'd drink it. I don't think 3 lbs of oats will cause too much of a problem lautering. A big stout without crystal is up my alley, should be interesting to see how the toastiness from the MO, toasted oats, and Victory come together. Not sure you need the flaked barley with all the oats, but it won't hurt.

Good luck.

I am attempting to use less or no caramel/crystal malts in my brews (unless absolutely required per style). Actually, the first stout recipe that I based this off of, did indeed have a 1 lb of C-40 in it. Replaced that with the Victory.

I am still debating the flaked barley as well.

Thanks

Back