Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew but have a few questions

Old 12-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
CaptChet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

it is safelager-33.

And thanks for all the help. I'll take as much as you guys can throw. This is my first attempt and probably should have done something less confusing. I do think I really am going to like this new hobby. I have wanted to brew for years but never really thought it so easy to get started. And with all the experience on here its a pretty safe bet that you really cant screw the pooch too bad.

I was just really nervous about the whole lager yeast at ale temp issue. But I definately will have beer as there is some serious swirl action and lock bubbles going on. I am going to rack to a secondary for at least 4 weeks and then immediately do an extract w/ specialty grains IPA in the 6 gallon primary.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
CaptChet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLAGI View Post
Do you have a fridge or somewhere cool (around 35F) to place a secondary fermenter? If so, after a couple of weeks at 68, rack it into a secondary fermenter and store at 35F for 8 to 12 weeks. That might help mellow out some of the esters that are likely forming from the ferment temps.
We use a wood burner that is on the first floor so my basement gets pretty cold. I would say around 45ish on the avg. My plan is to finish in the secondary there until I get set up with a fridge to lager in.