Imperial Stout Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout - Page 19 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Imperial Stout Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout

Old 12-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #181
BigIrukandji
Recipes 

Dec 2013
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's what I did for tweaking the recipe:

Brewed on: August 31st, 2013
Yeast: WLP090, then WLP099
Yeast Starter: HUGE – 3 vial stepped up 3 times to 1 gallon, then 3 gallon, then 6 gallon
Batch Size (Gallons): 15
My Original Gravity: 1.127 (missed the mark by 5 points)
Final Target Gravity: 1.020
Boiling Time (Minutes): 3 hours (I must have over sparged by 5 gallons by accident, ended up having to boil off for 3 additional hours, but amazing efficiency because of this)
Color: void of light
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 weeks
Total Grain (Lbs): 91

Ended up with 18 gallons instead of 15 gallons because of the sparging mistake (oh wells :-D).

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
75.00 lbs. Maris Otter
5 lbs. Roasted Rye France
4 lbs. Chocolate Malt Belgium
4 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain
3 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian

Hops
18.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 60 min.

I mashed at 145-150 for 90 minutes

So here’s the deal…I initially fermented with WLP090, then pitched another huge starter of WLP099 a week later. My primary is a 27 gallon conical, so blow off was not an issue. After about 3-4 weeks I drained out the conical into 3 x 6 gallon carboys to free it up for other beers. My conical sits in a room that is at a steady 64 degrees year round. Once I dumped into carboys, I let them sit for about a month in the same room at 64 degrees. About a month ago (2 month mark or so) I checked the gravity and it was at 1.049, so I put them into a different room that is around 70 degrees. They’ve been there ever since. I will be checking the gravity soon to see where it’s at. If it’s still a bit high, then I’ll probably dump all 3 back into the conical and repitch a huge starter of WLP099 again, but this time move the conical into the 70 degree room.

Long story short, once I get down to final gravity I will keep the batch separated into three carboys.
First carboy: Bourbon soaked oak chip infusion
Second carboy: Coffee bean infusion
Third carboy: Dry hop with at least a half a pound of hops

Once this finally all happens, I’ll post again to let you know the results. I’ll also post updates…maybe I’ll check the gravity this weekend if I make the time.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #182
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Hawley, PA
Liked 88 Times on 67 Posts

Resurrecting this one. I brewed this a long time ago, and I'm looking to do it again this coming fall (I like to plan ahead). I now have a kegging setup, so I'm wondering, bottle or keg? I will say this beer developed beautifully in the bottle over about two years. Will it develop similarly in a keg?

Kegging:
Pros - less hassle carbonating, no bottling!
Cons - less flavor development over time(?), ties up a keg for a while

Bottling:
Pros - better flavor development over time(?)
Cons - yeast may have difficult time carbonating

Thoughts?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #183
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Liked 132 Times on 108 Posts

Why not force carb then bottle? I do this with my big stouts. A beer gun was worth the price to me, big time.

Sent from my C771 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #184
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Hawley, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Why not force carb then bottle? I do this with my big stouts. A beer gun was worth the price to me, big time.
Also an option, but I'm wondering whether the beer will mature as well without the yeast as it did with the yeast in the bottle.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #185
TxBigHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Houston, Texas
Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

Has anyone brewed both this and Kate the Great clone? KTG is aged on bourbon soaked oak. This has much higher IBUs. What would be some other differences? I want to start doing some 2.5 gallon batches of big beers and an RIS will be one of the first.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #186
BigIrukandji
Recipes 

Dec 2013
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, I did finally get it down to 1.020. The bourbon soaked oak chip version of this is delicious! It did take about 10-12 months of sitting for this beer to smooth out a bit. I can't wait to see what it tastes like in another year or so. I just brewed this a second time, but lowered the gravity a bit so it'll "only" end up being 15% or so compared to the 17% that the last batch ended up being. Overall I am very pleased with how this turned out, but you won't like this beer if you aren't into huge beers.

bannerj Likes This 
Old 10-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #187
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Hawley, PA

Finally re-brewing this one (it's only been about six years) and doing it BIAB. Mash is THICK! It's like mashing cement!

Old 12-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #188
tomq04
Recipes 

Feb 2014
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to do a 1 gallon BIAB batch of this Saturday 12/20/14, hoping to 2ndary it until next Thanksgiving or Christmas. Will have to decide if I want to add espresso or bourbon and oak.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #189
tomq04
Recipes 

Feb 2014
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OGis roughly 1.09, a bit low.

I did mash at 152, which might account for part or most of the 10-20% decrease

Old 12-12-2015, 01:26 AM   #190
bigbeer
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyT View Post
Holy crap. Sorry for the necropost, but this looks to be pretty epic.

Unfortunately I am stuck doing Extract brews until I get out of my apartment and into a house which will be a year or two.
Lol what does this even mean? Where there's a will there's a way! I've brewed many 5 and 10 gallon batches AG in my 3 1/2 apartment! Including a 10 gallon with 32lbs of grain!