Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout

Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #151
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo
I brewed this the first week of February. I did a partial mash due to limited space. I wanted to boost it up a bit so I did 15lbs of light DME and added .5lbs Black Patent (only because it was a bit light due to the DME). I used a 1/4 gallon starter of WLP099 and 2 packs of US-05. Primary for 5 weeks. Then aged it in a barrel I got from Farmhouse Brewing Supplies for an additional 6 weeks.(When I got the barrel I put 2 bottles of bourbon in it right away for about 7 weeks so I could get the bourbon barrel qualities in it). Tasted absolutely amazing when I transfered from barrel to bottling bucket! It's been bottled for almost a month now. It had some heat so I will let it sit for a while still. I did add Brown sugar a few times during Primary. I am unsure of the abv because of the brown sugar additions and what the bourbon in the barrel contributed. OG - 1.146 FG - 1.030 = 15.2% + brown sugar and bourbon. I will crack one this weekend to see how it is.
Any updates on this?

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 08-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #152
stinkynathan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
Any updates on this?
Check my picture. At the highest point I had just as much kraussen as I had beer.

That is 3.5 gallons of DNotS in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 AM   #153
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynathan

Check my picture. At the highest point I had just as much kraussen as I had beer.

That is 3.5 gallons of DNotS in a 6.5 gallon carboy.
Damn, that's a great pic.

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #154
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 252 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtrashed View Post
Should I split the 5 gal batch into 2 buckets to ferment? Think I'll be OK in a 6.5 gal bucket with blowoff (only about 1/2 inch ID)? I was thinking I might split into two 2.5 gal batches to Primary and then combine them in carboy for Secondary. Thoughts? Is it overkill and will I be OK with 5 gal in 6.5 gal bucket?
I think you'll want more headspace than that. Check out stinkynathan's pic, this beer will krausen like crazy. From the last RIS I brewed, definitely glad I split the batch into 2 fermenters or I would've lost a lot of beer.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #155
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just finished adding oak to mine after 8 months and thought I would give a tasting update.

Mine ended up right around 13% alcohol. At 6 months, it was undrinkable. Was way to harsh of flavors. I took about a 2oz sample and didnt have more than a sip. Now at 8 months, its divine. Still can use some aging, but in a worse case could be drank. Another 2 months and it would probably be perfect. I just added about .75 oz of wood chips and will age for another 4 months before I bottle it.

Im already planning on brewing this once a year.

Awesomeness!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #156
Niilo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo View Post
I brewed this the first week of February. I did a partial mash due to limited space. I wanted to boost it up a bit so I did 15lbs of light DME and added .5lbs Black Patent (only because it was a bit light due to the DME). I used a 1/4 gallon starter of WLP099 and 2 packs of US-05. Primary for 5 weeks. Then aged it in a barrel I got from Farmhouse Brewing Supplies for an additional 6 weeks.(When I got the barrel I put 2 bottles of bourbon in it right away for about 7 weeks so I could get the bourbon barrel qualities in it). Tasted absolutely amazing when I transfered from barrel to bottling bucket! It's been bottled for almost a month now. It had some heat so I will let it sit for a while still. I did add Brown sugar a few times during Primary. I am unsure of the abv because of the brown sugar additions and what the bourbon in the barrel contributed. OG - 1.146 FG - 1.030 = 15.2% + brown sugar and bourbon. I will crack one this weekend to see how it is.

So it's been 7 months since I brewed and barrel aged this beast. This is f*cking amazing!!! It was very hot at bottling and has since came together to be the greatest beer I have ever brewed!!! I got very little carbonation from it at bottling. I dropped a packet of S-05 at bottling and it didn't do a whole lot. But I didn't want a whole lot of carb from it. It's a big awesome sipper. I bottled in 22oz. bombers. Highly recommended!!!

I currently have a 10 gallon variation of this in primary for 1.5 months that I will be barrel aging in a 10 gallon barrel that I got from Farmhouse Brewing Supplies. I did add some oat and will dry hop whole espresso beans and vanilla beans right before bottling. I plan on letting it sit for about 4 months in the barrel. The 6 weeks was perfect for the 5 gallon batch. If you have the space and funds I highly recommend getting a used barrel from Farmhouse Brewing Supplies and putting this beer in it. You will not regret it!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #157
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

That sounds really good. I am glad you are enjoying your creation. I still have 4 bottles from my first shot at this. They are precious to say the least. I can't say for sure when I will drink them, but it will have to be a SPECIAL occasion!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #158
imtrashed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this about a week ago. OG came in WAY too low (probably my fault) for my liking even after a LONG boil with a BIG pre-boil volume. In any case, that's not my current question or issue....

Do you think I'm good with a 3 week primary on this, if I plan to secondary a while (maybe another 2 months before bottling)? That's enough for the yeasties to do their thing and clean up a bit before racking, right?

I'll be checking in gravity tonight to see where I stand.
Bottle conditioning / Ageing: Bourbon-Oaked Vanilla Porter
Consuming: Black IPA, Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 clone, EdWort's Apfelwein, English Barleywine, Sweet Mead
Batches in 2011
Batches in 2012
Batches in 2013

Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #159
stinkynathan
Recipes 

An update for all that are interested in this great recipe:

I just received an email stating that my brew of this recipe won best of stouts/porters at the Clearwater Beer Festival in Eau Claire, WI. I'm still waiting to hear who won the Best of Show for this event, but I'm at least in the running.

GREAT recipe!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 AM   #160
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkynathan View Post
An update for all that are interested in this great recipe:

I just received an email stating that my brew of this recipe won best of stouts/porters at the Clearwater Beer Festival in Eau Claire, WI. I'm still waiting to hear who won the Best of Show for this event, but I'm at least in the running.

GREAT recipe!
Very cool! Sounds like a great brewer to me. Well done.