How to get the bacon flavor in my Wake'n Bacon Breakfast Stout - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > How to get the bacon flavor in my Wake'n Bacon Breakfast Stout

Old 12-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
pennisim
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Chapel Hill, NC

I was originally going to cook 4lbs of bacon in the oven, soak up all the fat, then throw it in my secondary.

Now I found this online: http://www.torani.com/products/bacon-syrup

Has anyone come across this before or have any experience with it? I wonder if it would give more of a bacon flavor than just adding bacon to the secondary would. Just brewed the beer yesterday so I won't be adding the bacon for at least another week or so (enough time to order the bacon syrup). Thoughts?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

That sounds very cool. I wonder where you can find this stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
HexKrak
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Phoenix
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Cook down the bacon, take the fat and add it to a strong alcohol. I've seen brandy and bourbon used in other recipes, but if you want to avoid adding a lot of non bacon flavor to your beer I'd go with vodka or everclear.

Let the container with alcohol and bacon fat sit room temp for a week or so, then put it in the freezer. The fat will form a nice hard cap over the liquid that you can just pull out in one or two big chunks.

Discard the fat (or cook up some eggs with it), and add the liquor to your beer.
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale

cashiusclay Likes This 
Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexKrak View Post
Cook down the bacon, take the fat and add it to a strong alcohol. I've seen brandy and bourbon used in other recipes, but if you want to avoid adding a lot of non bacon flavor to your beer I'd go with vodka or everclear.

Let the container with alcohol and bacon fat sit room temp for a week or so, then put it in the freezer. The fat will form a nice hard cap over the liquid that you can just pull out in one or two big chunks.

Discard the fat (or cook up some eggs with it), and add the liquor to your beer.
Good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 12-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1672 Times on 1251 Posts

I find that a little smoked malt imparts basically the flavor bacon would.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
McNulty
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Granger, Indiana

+1 on smoked malt...1/2lb in a 12lb grain bill can overpower with bacon flavor.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
dedhedjed

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

bacon bits to the secondary...

HexKrak Likes This 
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
hamiltont
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
+1 on smoked malt...1/2lb in a 12lb grain bill can overpower with bacon flavor.
That would probably be peated malt. I wouldn't hesitate using 1/3 of the total grist as smoked malt. For a bacon flavor I would cold smoke 1/3 to 1/2 the base malt with Hickory. Something like 1/4 lb of Hickory Chips to 5 lbs. grains, low & slow!! Cheers!!!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
pennisim
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Chapel Hill, NC

If I were adding the vodka/bacon mix to my beer, would you add to secondary or simply add at bottling? Thank you. -Matt

Old 03-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
JRdaSconnie
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Sugar Camp, WI

A late comment judging by the posts in the thread, but I just brewed an a.g. porter with bacon in the primary. I did try just putting some Baco's in a shot of vodka x a couple days and it tasted like bacon. If this doesn't give me the flavor I want by just adding in to steep, I'll probably add an infused neutral spirit. I also had 30% Weyermann's smoked malt in my grain bill. We'll see!