GF all grain??? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF all grain???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
wardenwheat
 
wardenwheat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
SE Iowa
Posts: 112
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



Ok,this may be a dumb question, but I don't want to spend all day searching forums for the answer........

Never brewed gf beer, but looked at some links and see syrup and sugar as the main ingredients. I'm an all grain brewer. Is it possible to do an all grain gluten free beer??

If so, what grains.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 1,171
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts


It seems possible. Check out the two sticky threads. It's ongoing research on the ingredients, and the process and attempts of malting in the past two years and the perceived differences so far.
All the info you'll want is there, and if you suceed in doing an all grain, let us know. There's a few who have successfully malted quinoa, sorghum and buckwheat, and I believe there's been info about millet and amaranth. Of course other countries have some other procedures about malting millet too.
I was malting some oats and sorghum in a small half pound batch to try out like they are but I went on vacation over thanksgiving and they got a bit... off.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
DKershner
 
DKershner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenwheat View Post
Ok,this may be a dumb question, but I don't want to spend all day searching forums for the answer........

Never brewed gf beer, but looked at some links and see syrup and sugar as the main ingredients. I'm an all grain brewer. Is it possible to do an all grain gluten free beer??

If so, what grains.
So far we have not found any gluten free grains with the enzymes to convert itself, which means you need to add enzymes. Obtaining certain enzymes is difficult, and without them it is difficult to get as good of conversion as glutenous mashes.

On top of this, there are hardly any malted gluten free grains anyway, so you have to malt your own grains. You would also have to roast them if you want any specialty grains.

Basically, sure you can, but be prepared to do a lot of research into enzymes and having trouble purchasing them. All grain gluten free is much more difficult than normal all grain brewing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
wardenwheat
 
wardenwheat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
SE Iowa
Posts: 112
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


What if u chewed the grains like the do in making Taj with corn?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
aggieotis
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenwheat View Post
What if u chewed the grains like the do in making Taj with corn?
Just watched the Brewmasters Episode on this. Basically, there's no reason to chew it up. Sure you'll get a touch of amylase, but you'd be way better off just buying some amylase from your LHBS.

While it certainly works. The only reason in today's world to really bother chewing if you want to go for the gross-out factor of 'this beer is made from the people's spit out chewings of grain'.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
aggieotis
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Basically, sure you can, but be prepared to do a lot of research into enzymes and having trouble purchasing them. All grain gluten free is much more difficult than normal all grain brewing.
And that's not even getting into how much more difficult sparging is because a lot of GF grains end up having the consistency of oatmeal.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
hamiltont
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Posts: 873
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
And that's not even getting into how much more difficult sparging is because a lot of GF grains end up having the consistency of oatmeal.
Rice hulls to the rescue... Lots of 'em!!! Cheers!!!
__________________
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump