Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New Brew Kettle Build

Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
TheBrewinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default New Brew Kettle Build

I just acquired an old keg (my uncle found one in his shed hes had for 10+ years and donated it to my cause) and am going to be cutting/drilling it to make a brew kettle to step up to 10 gallon batches. My question comes in the valve, is it worth the extra money to go with the 3 piece or doesn't it really matter since the valve should be heated up to kill anything that may be growing in the bowels of the valve? Thanks.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2909 Posts
Likes Given: 148

2 months ago, I would have said, "no it's fine". Then I actually disassembled on of my valves. Despite rushing water through it at the end of a brew day and then some strike water through it for waste before mashing in, there was some gross stuff in there. I don't know if it did anything to any beers I've ever made, but now that I know it was in there, I'll be disassembling and cleaning them after each brew day.

*edit*
My mistake, I am thinking of the 2 piece. I don't know what the benefits are to the 3 pieces other than being able to tear them down farther for cleaning.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got a 2 piece 1/2" SS on my BK and MLT now, but I just picked up 2 new 3 piece 1/2" SS ball valves on EBay for less than $40 to replace the 2 piece on my BK and the other for a fermenter I'm making from an old Hoff-Stevens keg. I'm OK with the one on MLT staying a 2 piece because anything that goes thru it gets a 60 min + boil to kill anything. However, I'm not conviced that the BK valve ALWAYS gets hot enough because I use a heat shield under it and, along with an immersion chiller, everything that goes thru it at bug friendly temps winds up directly in the fermenter.
Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club