Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #451
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My first batch fermented out to about the same place- 1.016-1.018. Doesn't matter, this is one great, tasty, smooth stout. Exactly as advertised, a great oatmeal stout for those who want minimal bitterness.

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #452
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6211 Times on 4424 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Yooper: I think you mentioned early in this thread that originally you only used the 2oz of "regular" chocolate malt because you didn't have quite enough of the pale chocolate malt on hand. Do you feel the 2oz of higher kilned chocolate malt adds a specific character to this recipe? I'm just wondering if 12oz of pale chocolate malt and none of the regular stuff was the original thought.
That's exactly what happened! I didn't notice any difference, but I kept it in because I did like it and normally have the darker chocolate on hand in small quantities anyway.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #453
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That's exactly what happened! I didn't notice any difference, but I kept it in because I did like it and normally have the darker chocolate on hand in small quantities anyway.
Thanks, Yooper. I brewed it as written just this Sunday.

For those that have asked about the krausen with this recipe and the 1335 (I know I saw a few posts as I read this), I thought I'd throw out what my batch did. I've got it dialed in right at 65*F. I had a krausen show up quick and top out around 24 hours at about 1 inch thick. That started as an off-white foam with a bit of darker brown thick stuff on top. That began to fall, and then I was surprised to see this morning that there was a "second" Krausen that was thick dark brown through and through and about 2 inches thick.

I just got a beer gas and stout faucet setup that this will go on. So exited about that.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #454
raymadigan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bottled this as is, I didn't add any yeast. I will be away for a week and will sample it when I return.

It had an off flavor, bitter like from bitter chocolate. I will see how it is with a little carbonation, if it carbonates.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #455
kbowman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbowman View Post
I love this stout. I have made it before and it is always great. This time I am substituting Roasted Barley for Black Barley. Not my choice--it's what the lhbs had in stock. Has anyone else tried this substitution and how was it? I would be ok with a "roastier" coffee flavor, but not an extreme change. I am brewing it either way--would just like to know.
Tasted this today. Definitely not the same. I do not taste the "coffee" like I do in the original. Tastes more like a porter than a stout. Not a good substitute in my book.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #456
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

Yooper and/or all that've brewed this.

My LHB only carries white labs...

Looking for an equivalent for this....WLP025?

thread search didn't turn up much

Untapped

Old 12-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #457
m1ke
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed a 10 gallon batch using s-04 and it's definitely one of the best stouts I've tasted - rich, chocolate, roasty goodness!

Next time I will try it with 1335.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Yooper!

LoloMT7 Likes This 
Old 12-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #458
raymadigan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan View Post
I bottled this as is, I didn't add any yeast. I will be away for a week and will sample it when I return.

It had an off flavor, bitter like from bitter chocolate. I will see how it is with a little carbonation, if it carbonates.
I just opened my first bottle after it sat for a couple of weeks carbonating and it is great. A little thinner then I anticipated but tastes great. I only have 25 bottles so I will be trying it again soon :-)

Old 12-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #459
truvr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just finished bottling this. Unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on the black barley so I subbed for 4 oz coffee malt, 4 oz brown malt, and 2 oz black patent. The sample tasted great. I guess I'll have to brew it again to taste the difference using black barley.

I do love the 1335. The yeast cake was so tight I ran the siphon right on top of/into it, left no beer in the fermenter, and had no sediment left over in the bottling bucket. Anyway, I can't wait for these to condition. This should be a tasty cold weather brew for sure.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #460
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I racked this to the keg today. I know I've seen others post a tad high FG, so I thought I'd throw out my results. OG = 1.0545 and FG = 1.020. I fermented steady at 65F for about 6 days, until signs of fermentation were really trailing off, then I upped it a couple degrees to 67F for a little while.

Low attenuation, maybe a bit sweet, but not too much. It definitely doesn't throw off the balance, which this beer has in spades.

Great recipe; I'll be doing this one regularly.