Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout - Page 22 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #211
LoloMT7
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Missoula, Montana
Posts: 1,913
Liked 1268 Times on 679 Posts


Going to check the SG on this tonight. I used wyeast 1318 London Ale III. I'm a bit concerned cause it only had a krausen and showed activity the first 2 days then all airlock activity stopped and krausen fell. It was 62 so i brought the temp up a bit the last few days and stirred the yeast gently back into action. Of course maybe they ate all the sugars and are taking a nap as they should be. I won't know until I take a gravity reading. If they gave up on the job too early them I'm pitching a pack of Nottingham into the carboy.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #212
phoenixs4r
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Hayward, California
Posts: 1,515
Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloMT7 View Post
Going to check the SG on this tonight. I used wyeast 1318 London Ale III. I'm a bit concerned cause it only had a krausen and showed activity the first 2 days then all airlock activity stopped and krausen fell. It was 62 so i brought the temp up a bit the last few days and stirred the yeast gently back into action. Of course maybe they ate all the sugars and are taking a nap as they should be. I won't know until I take a gravity reading. If they gave up on the job too early them I'm pitching a pack of Nottingham into the carboy.
I had no krausen.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #213
InityBrew
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Phoenixville, Pa
Posts: 830
Liked 234 Times on 161 Posts


+1 On the no krausen. I was worried but i tasted a sample after 3 weeks and it is delightful .. 1.054. Down to 1.016
__________________
Haus Of Kane

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #214
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Saratoga, NY
Posts: 430
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Yeah my krausen was minimal on my batch too. I was almost worried about it... but i knew it was working. I also had a SUPPER clean transfer out into the carboys.
__________________
Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #215
LoloMT7
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Missoula, Montana
Posts: 1,913
Liked 1268 Times on 679 Posts


SG is 1.018 so I'm right on track guess the blow off tube wasn't needed for once. :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #216
beargrylls
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
College Park, MD
Posts: 160
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


i brewed a PM version of this two weeks ago and the sample i just took has a gravity of 1.020. This is kind of high, so i'm wondering if i should stir up the yeast on the bottom of the carboy a bit to see if i can get it a bit lower. Also i used S-04 yeast instead, so could this be the reason for lower attenuation? Tastes great though!

Here's the recipe:
2 lbs maris otter
18 oz flaked oats
12 oz victory malt
10 oz pale chocolate malt
8 oz flaked barley
8 oz crystal 80L
8 oz roasted barley
2 oz chocolate malt
3.75 lbs pilsen light DME
1 oz willamette @ 60 min
1 oz willamette @ 45 min

S-04 yeast

mashed at 154 F
OG was 1.054
fermented at 64-66, let rise to 68-70 after 1 week

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #217
h0psnobery
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Bismarck, North Dakota
Posts: 80
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


*subscribed

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #218
LoloMT7
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Missoula, Montana
Posts: 1,913
Liked 1268 Times on 679 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrylls View Post
i brewed a PM version of this two weeks ago and the sample i just took has a gravity of 1.020. This is kind of high, so i'm wondering if i should stir up the yeast on the bottom of the carboy a bit to see if i can get it a bit lower. Also i used S-04 yeast instead, so could this be the reason for lower attenuation? Tastes great though!

Here's the recipe:
2 lbs maris otter
18 oz flaked oats
12 oz victory malt
10 oz pale chocolate malt
8 oz flaked barley
8 oz crystal 80L
8 oz roasted barley
2 oz chocolate malt
3.75 lbs pilsen light DME
1 oz willamette @ 60 min
1 oz willamette @ 45 min

S-04 yeast

mashed at 154 F
OG was 1.054
fermented at 64-66, let rise to 68-70 after 1 week
That looks almost exactly how mine went i bet it will be awesome!
You might taste it and see if it tastes too sweet or if it is ok. I stirred mine up a bit and warmed up to 70 and it dropped from .018 to .016 I plan to rack to keg this weekend

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #219
D_Nyholm
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Sayville, NY
Posts: 1,262
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts


If I wanted a bit more of a roasty character to this brew, would it be as simple as just increasing the roasted barley by 2 oz. or so or would other parameters need to be changed? I brew a lot but don't know anything about recipe creation and what each grain imparts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #220
beargrylls
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
College Park, MD
Posts: 160
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloMT7 View Post
That looks almost exactly how mine went i bet it will be awesome!
You might taste it and see if it tastes too sweet or if it is ok. I stirred mine up a bit and warmed up to 70 and it dropped from .018 to .016 I plan to rack to keg this weekend
great! it tasted fine a week ago at 1.020, not too sweet for me. i ended up swirling the yeast up a bit and warming to 70 but haven't taken another gravity reading. ill take one next week when i bottle, hopefully it drops a couple points.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yooper's Oatmeal Stout Yeast Substitution CreamyGoodness Fermentation & Yeast 4 12-31-2014 02:42 PM
10 gallons of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, 2 different yeast strains? porky_pine Recipes/Ingredients 0 12-21-2012 03:31 AM
NCBeernut's Deception Cream Stout vs. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout smyrnaquince All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 02-20-2012 03:58 PM
NCBeernut's Deception Cream Stout vs. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout smyrnaquince Recipes/Ingredients 0 02-17-2012 07:37 PM


Forum Jump