Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout - Page 21 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #201
bleak
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Campbell River
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, Yooper, that may be it. Do you know the degrees Lovibond of Briess Black Barley? I didn't see it on their website.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #202
beargrylls
Recipes 

Mar 2012
College Park, MD
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak View Post
The Breiss description of their "black barley": Black Barley is a deep brown colored malt with a coffee flavor, that is dry and intensely bitter.
roasted barley
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...stedBarley.pdf

black barley
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...lackBarley.pdf

they both say the same thing for general flavor on the pdf info pages. the only thing that is different is black barley is 500 lovibond and roasted is 300 lovibond.
just wanted to share my research

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #203
nickmv
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Memphis
Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts

Brewed this yesterday. Other than oversparging by 2 pts, I nailed my numbers. Used 1.5qts/lb mash, so hopefully this comes out pretty good. It's chugging happily alongside my Celebration Ale clone.
Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Kegged & Waiting:
ON TAP: Oatmeal Stout[br /]Holiday IPA

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #204
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7365 Times on 5207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak View Post
Thanks, Yooper, that may be it. Do you know the degrees Lovibond of Briess Black Barley? I didn't see it on their website.
It's really really dark- guessing 450-500 SRM or so.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #205
bleak
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Campbell River
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrylls View Post
roasted barley
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...stedBarley.pdf

black barley
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...lackBarley.pdf

they both say the same thing for general flavor on the pdf info pages. the only thing that is different is black barley is 500 lovibond and roasted is 300 lovibond.
just wanted to share my research
That's really interesting. Another website said that Briess Black Barley was malted. I guess I'll just sub some roasted barley for the black barley.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #206
jbags5
Recipes 

Jan 2012
nixa, mo
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed a version of this on Friday (subbed Fuggles/Goldings for Willamette, used British Ale 1098 b/c couldn't find the British Ale II).

Brewday went excellent. Made a 4 gallon batch. Hit numbers great. Aerated like normal, pitched yeast, and....bubbles within about 3 hours. That is very weird for me. Usually takes my beers about 18-24 hours to start fermentation. So I was excited.

After 12 hours (the next morning), I had crazy bubbles. Like 1-2 per second crazy bubbling fermentation. It was in my usual fermentation room, the ambient temps at 65 (stopped using my swamp cooler around October).

Nothing out of the ordinary in my brewing/sanitizing/fermentation process, but the fermentation (1) started faster than any other beer I've ever brewed (2) went more vigorously than any other beer I've ever done, and (3) is seemingly done/winding down now, 72 hours later (bubble every 30 seconds or so), making it the fastest fermenting brew I've ever done. Is anyone else getting a really fast and vigorous fermentation with this brew?

I don't make many porters/stouts (this is my 2nd, and my first AG stout -- made about 15 batches overall), so I'm just curious if this is a common thing with this type of beer.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #207
Gear101
Recipes 

Nov 2010
USA
Liked 73 Times on 68 Posts

I open my bucket today, really smells good. Im going to reset it back tomorrow.
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #208
Gear101
Recipes 

Nov 2010
USA
Liked 73 Times on 68 Posts

Ok after a couple days at 30#s, I tried one last night, really good beer. It has a full wet mouth to it, dark chocolate aroma, oatmeal (just the right amount),some bitterness and very smooth. It is a beer that I could drink all the time and really did want to put it down last night. Glad I set this back.
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #209
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Hayward, California
Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts

I brewed this a few weeks ago, been on tap for a week or two. I really f'd up and tightened my mill to get better efficiency. When i looked at my grains they resembled flour more than husks. Between my stupidity and the oats making things sticky I literally had to put a paint strainer on the output of my mash tun and have my GF milk it while i stirred the mash just to get anything out. Took about 2.5 hours.

Well worth it tho, cheers for a good beer! I added cocoa nibs to the boil, which gave it the wrong type of chocolate taste i was going for, but still delicious.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #210
D_Nyholm
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Sayville, NY
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts

Brewed this about 8 weeks ago and kegged it about 4 weeks ago. In the meantime, my kegerator broke and I have no way to drink it besides bottling it. Do you think there will be any negative effects if I do t tap the keg for another month? Or should I just bottle it and start drinking it? It is carbed so I could just bottle and start drinking right away I just am too lazy to get to bottling it but will if it is necessary!