Starter use - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Starter use
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
foyboy
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
southampton, pa
Posts: 70


Can a starter get over the hill ?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Canton, MI
Posts: 986
Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts


Do you mean can a starter get too old? The answer is yes. All a starter is just a small batch of beer. So if you leave it too long it will go bad, but how long is a subject for a debate. A starter that is a month + old is probably still good to go.


__________________
"My Brew Day" on YouTube.
RDWHAHB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
foyboy
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
southampton, pa
Posts: 70

No I was wondering if a starter gets going ,foams up,then just goes to sleep if you don't use it in a day or two .

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,504
Liked 7365 Times on 5207 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by foyboy View Post
No I was wondering if a starter gets going ,foams up,then just goes to sleep if you don't use it in a day or two .
Well, sure. But that's the point. If you're stepping it up, you can add more wort at that time. If you want to decant the spent wort before pitching, that's the time to chill it so you can pour off the spent wort after the yeast settles.

Any starter that you're not using after it's fermented out can go in the fridge. The whole point of a starter is to reproduce yeast, so once that's done you can store it if you're not using it right away. You can even pour off the spent wort after it's clear and add more wort later to revive the yeast.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
iijakii
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Portland-ish, OR
Posts: 5,977
Liked 1780 Times on 1116 Posts


Well, naturally like any other beer once fermentation subsides it will go 'dormant' in a sense, yes.

Is that bad? No. A lot of people will wait for the yeast to flocculate and clear down to the bottom so they can decant the starter beer and pitch just the yeast. I personally use real-wort starters so I just pitch the whole damn thing, even if I'm making a gallon starter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
bovineblitz
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,420
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
Well, naturally like any other beer once fermentation subsides it will go 'dormant' in a sense, yes.

Is that bad? No. A lot of people will wait for the yeast to flocculate and clear down to the bottom so they can decant the starter beer and pitch just the yeast. I personally use real-wort starters so I just pitch the whole damn thing, even if I'm making a gallon starter
I wait for it to go dormant, I don't like the idea of pouring 2L of completely oxidized beer into my delicious wort.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
Calder
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Ohio
Posts: 7,527
Liked 604 Times on 528 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
I wait for it to go dormant, I don't like the idea of pouring 2L of completely oxidized beer into my delicious wort.
I would like to hear anyone who has any real experience of this as causing a problem. I usually pitch everything.

OK; if brewing a delicate pilsner, then I would think you would want to decant, but for your basic Pale Ale ..... I see no reason.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
bovineblitz
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,420
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I would like to hear anyone who has any real experience of this as causing a problem. I usually pitch everything.

OK; if brewing a delicate pilsner, then I would think you would want to decant, but for your basic Pale Ale ..... I see no reason.
Probably isn't a problem, but I just don't like the idea.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
indigi
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Philadelphia
Posts: 438
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


While the off-flavors imparted by 2 liters of esterified oxidized starter won't be super obvious in 5.5+ gallons of beer, it can impact flavor stability and cause staling much quicker than normal.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you add more starter wort to an existing yeast starter? vast_reaction Fermentation & Yeast 10 10-07-2011 03:15 AM
Starter or no starter??? Quick response needed. ScarySouthernMan Fermentation & Yeast 11 06-01-2010 12:08 AM
Steping up a starter to avoid making a giant sized starter. maida7 Fermentation & Yeast 8 03-31-2010 12:33 PM
Lager starter...which temp to pitch starter? Q2XL Fermentation & Yeast 3 12-21-2009 04:34 PM
Starter using LME hopdawg Fermentation & Yeast 3 09-09-2009 12:54 AM


Forum Jump