American Pale Ale 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a half batch of this last night. The airlock fumes smell delightfully hoppy :)

Thanks for the recipe! Was looking for just this kind of thing for some easy brewing and drinking!

Bottled this last night and snuck a sip - totally awesome! Very drinkable, well balanced between hops and malt. I can't wait until these carb up!!

Thank you again for the recipe, this is super easy and a keeper!

I bought my ingredients to make this again since it is my house beer, and I noticed last night that I closed the lid on the party tap and drained out my last half gallon into my keezer. This is after already losing a gallon from a party tap that was leaking earlier in this beers life. Will be making another batch this weekend. Not sure how I will change it up this time, but will probably change up the dry hop again. Been using citra and sorachi the last couple batches.

This will make my 4th batch of this recipe, but all of them are slightly different. Use 6 lbs light DME and 1 lb crystal 60 every time, Bry 97 and mostly Cascade in the boil with a different dry hop. Need to get some mosaic to try soon.

I cracked a bottle of this last night, and it was a tasty Pale Ale. A tad more bitter than I'd expected after time in the bottle, but it was really good. I'll be sharing this on Thanksgiving for sure! And I'll be brewing another batch once this is all gone.

This sounded like fun so I brewed this 13 days ago, and modified it slightly to make it a 25 minute boil given the hops I had on hand. It's been a couple of years since I've done an extract batch OR used dry yeast. Remind me: is there any reason why this should need to sit in the fermenter longer than an all-grain or liquid yeast batch? I read the first few pages of content in this thread, and noticed 4 weeks in fermenter seemed typical.

My batches are all pretty much liquid yeast and all-grain, and with my process on lower gravity beers I'm typically done after 2-3 weeks. (usually raising the fermentation temp by day 4 or 5 when attenuation is pretty much done, then cold crashing by day 10 or 12 or so, adding drop hops if necessary, and then kegging somewhere between days 14 and 17.)

Just wondering if I've forgotten something since my extract and dry yeast days.

Thanks.

No. There's no difference between all-grain and extract once the wort is out of the kettle (except that perhaps the extract wort may be less fermentable), and the fermentation profiles are the same for liquid or dry yeast (depending on the specific strain obviously).

I believe what you are seeing in this thread is the common current practice of leaving beer in the primary fermenter for a fairly long time to ensure that the yeast "clean up". But if you have normal success with shorter processing times on other beers, just do what you always do.

No. There's no difference between all-grain and extract once the wort is out of the kettle (except that perhaps the extract wort may be less fermentable), and the fermentation profiles are the same for liquid or dry yeast (depending on the specific strain obviously).

Thanks for reaffirmation. It's ready, so I'm cold crashing and will drop hop in the morning. Happy Thanksgiving.

I used a similar recipe and approach - 6 lbs light DME, 1 lb Munich malt, and 6.5 oz total cascades.

It took 7 days at near freezing, but the haze (yeast or dry hop - not sure which) finally cleared. Taste is every bit as good as my all-grain batches. US 05 did a nice job at 65 degrees.

IMG_20131218_192121752.jpg

Since I have been using BRY-97 with this, I end up having a day of lag time, followed by 5 days of fermentation then dry hop for 10-12 days and keg. Force carbing can have this drinkable in 3 weeks, but it improves with more carbonation time.

I will probably use S-05 next time to see how it compares to the BRY-97.

I brewed a 15 minute wheat pale Friday night after this recipe came out awesome earlier this year. I used centennial, citra, and a little amarillo for hops. Smells incredible fermenting.

I was lucky enough to receive a free kit from Brewer's Best (seen here) as part of a challenge for my local Homebrew club (Vanbrewer's). These kits were given to 5 or 6 "teams" to make for our February meeting. The only stipulations were we had to make 19 liters, use everything in the kit (though yeast could be substituted).

I figure that since most people were going to go all crazy and add tonnes of stuff (so I heard, anyhow) I'd do the exact opposite. Use a simple, basic recipe that took next to no time to make, so I made this!

Only differences are pretty minor, the grains were C-20 instead of 60, and my hop additions were thus:
2.5 oz cascade @ 15
1oz Citra @ 5
.5oz of Cascade @ flame out.

Left all the hops in while chilling (about 20 minutes).

Bry - 97 (rehydrated with wort).

Very stoked on this! The reviews sounds great, and I hope to add to them.

PS - thinking of dryhopping with either all Cascade since I'm getting more in bulk, but also am considering Amarillo/Simcoe.

I was lucky enough to receive a free kit from Brewer's Best (seen here) as part of a challenge for my local Homebrew club (Vanbrewer's). These kits were given to 5 or 6 "teams" to make for our February meeting. The only stipulations were we had to make 19 liters, use everything in the kit (though yeast could be substituted).

I figure that since most people were going to go all crazy and add tonnes of stuff (so I heard, anyhow) I'd do the exact opposite. Use a simple, basic recipe that took next to no time to make, so I made this!

Only differences are pretty minor, the grains were C-20 instead of 60, and my hop additions were thus:
2.5 oz cascade @ 15
1oz Citra @ 5
.5oz of Cascade @ flame out.

Left all the hops in while chilling (about 20 minutes).

Bry - 97 (rehydrated with wort).

Very stoked on this! The reviews sounds great, and I hope to add to them.

PS - thinking of dryhopping with either all Cascade since I'm getting more in bulk, but also am considering Amarillo/Simcoe.

I have some Citra and Cascade around, and had planned to do this too - going to use your additions and brew more of this today :)

I'm off to buy DME!

I have some Citra and Cascade around, and had planned to do this too - going to use your additions and brew more of this today :)

I'm off to buy DME!
I just checked the gravity (1.010) and the hydro sample tasted awesome - nice grapefruity bitterness with a hint of that Jack Fruit (aka juicy Fruit gum) sweetness.

Very stoked on this. I am wondering how different it would have been with Crystal 60 instead of 20 though.

Also;

Could one do a "First Wort Hop" by adding some hops to the water at the same time as the steeping grains, or is there too little sugar coming from the crystal to make it worth it (no gravity = no isomerization)? I was thinking about it yesterday and if could increase the flavour without any real additional work/wait time, then it might be worth it. My throw some Warrior or maybe just more Cascade next time I try this.

So...I'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon and doing a 2.5G test batch.

But I want to replace the Cascade with Simcoe which is 13.00% AA versus the original 7.5% AA
Since I'm looking at 1/2 the recipe my thinking is:
1) 1/2 the amount of hops
2) 1/2 the amount of hops AGAIN because mine are double the AA of the original recipe

I'm left with something that looks like this for 2.5G:
3lbs light DME
1/2lb C60
1/2oz Simcoe (13%) - 15 minutes
1oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 5 minutes
1/2 Simcoe (13%) - flameout

I'll decide what to dry hop with after I nail this down. At work, on a conference call and trying to think this through.
BeerSmith shows me at 34 IBUs which is pretty close to the original.

Can somebody correct me or validate my thinking/numbers in case I am missing something easy here.

~Mahalo

So...I'm thinking about jumping on the bandwagon and doing a 2.5G test batch.

But I want to replace the Cascade with Simcoe which is 13.00% AA versus the original 7.5% AA
Since I'm looking at 1/2 the recipe my thinking is:
1) 1/2 the amount of hops
2) 1/2 the amount of hops AGAIN because mine are double the AA of the original recipe

I'm left with something that looks like this for 2.5G:
3lbs light DME
1/2lb C60
1/2oz Simcoe (13%) - 15 minutes
1oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 5 minutes
1/2 Simcoe (13%) - flameout

I'll decide what to dry hop with after I nail this down. At work, on a conference call and trying to think this through.
BeerSmith shows me at 34 IBUs which is pretty close to the original.

Can somebody correct me or validate my thinking/numbers in case I am missing something easy here.

~Mahalo

I'm going to try something similar as well. Doing a 2.5G batch with Centennial rather than Cascade. So I'm looking at this right now because I have all the below on hand:

3 lbs Light DME
1/2 lb C40
3/4oz Centennial (10%) - 15 mintues
1/2oz Centennial (10%) - 5 minutes
1/4oz Centennial (10%) - flameout
1/2oz Centennial - dry hop 7 days

San Diego Super yeast

We'll see how this turns out! Got a snow day coming tomorrow so I wanted something that I had supplies on hand for and that could be done in my kitchen without too much trouble.

I decided to brew it straight-up (as originally posted) before trying any tweaks. That will give me a good baseline with which to tweak to my taste in the future.

It's fermenting now - albeit a 2.5G batch and not a full fiver.

Cracked a bottle last night- deeeeelicious! The slight change with Citra was noticeable, but not overly do.

Great recipe, thanks again!

I'm saying "no".
I did a half batch (2.5G) and it was in primary for 13 days (including dry hop and cold crash). I carbed for two weeks, chilled for 2 days and tried one.

Crisp, clean and ready to go.
Mind you, I'm all over my ferment temps and pitch rates, but this turned around quickly.

Is the 30 day primary needed with a simple ale like this??

That was just how the original poster did it. So long as fermentation is complete, you can do what you like.

For this recipe, I've done 2 weeks in primary and the ale is great. Even cracked one after bottled 7 days and it was awesomely carbonated and delicious.

I brewed this last night at a 1.375 gal size (2 gal fermenting bucket)

OG was 1.051 so i missed it by a tiny bit (probably due to a rough measurement of the extract) but not a big deal.

This was my first extract batch as I started with AG BIAB brewing and i gotta say, man was that a QUICK brew night. Not sure if i'm a fan, but hey, if you dont have much time and wanna whip something up quick, this is it.

Planning on rushing this one through the pipeline as sort of a "how fast can i go from grain to glass" tester. will report back

I brewed this last night at a 1.375 gal size (2 gal fermenting bucket)

OG was 1.051 so i missed it by a tiny bit (probably due to a rough measurement of the extract) but not a big deal.

This was my first extract batch as I started with AG BIAB brewing and i gotta say, man was that a QUICK brew night. Not sure if i'm a fan, but hey, if you dont have much time and wanna whip something up quick, this is it.

Planning on rushing this one through the pipeline as sort of a "how fast can i go from grain to glass" tester. will report back

Agreed, very quick brew process. I like it as a fast and easy pale ale option. I even tried making this into a fast imperial IPA earlier this week...it's still bubbling away. My OG on that was 1.080 and I used around 3oz of hops for 1 gallon. The blowoff smells awesome.

I used this recipe as the basis, and then adjusted a bit:

1.25 gallons water
2lbs light DME
2oz Crystal 60 (ended up a little darker than I expected...might try for CL40 next time)

Steeped grains until 165, then pulled them out.
Added DME and brought to a boil.

Boil 15 minutes with the following additions:
1oz Cascade @ 15min
.75oz Cascade @ 10min
.25oz Cascade @ 5min
.25oz Mosaic @ 5min
.25oz Cascade @ flameout
.25oz Mosaic @ flameout

Dry hop for 7 days with whatever you like. I'll probably do Cascade .5oz or something.

Should be around 8% ABV and 108IBUs roughly.

So, the competition was tonight and we got 2nd!

First place took the kit and added 6lbs of wheat, dry hopped on cherries etc, basically added a tonne of stuff to it and a lot of work. Suckers! (jk)I didn't get to try it but I heard it was really good.

When I got my award they asked me to talk about what I did (no one knew the recipe etc). When I told everyone I stuck with the kit and only did a 15 Minute boil I got a bit of a response - even more when I said brew day was a little under 2 hours!

One judge gave it 33 (flavour was 15/20!), the other a few points less. I honestly think if I just left it alone and not dry hopped it with Amarillo I would have got 35 easy. The uncarbed hydro sample was really, really good.

One of the judges suggested I try Ahtnum next time. I don't even know what that is but he makes great beer so I'll keep it mind.

I knocked this out yesterday. It took two hours from pouring water to cleanup. I made a few adjustments.

8 lbs DME
1 lb Carahell
1 lb C60

1 oz Galena at 15 minutes
2 oz Cascade AND 2 oz Centennial at 2 minutes

ABV 6%
SRM 9
IBUs 46

We shall see what comes in 6 weeks.

just tried a couple of these after 8 days in the bottle. quite hazy but MAN delicious for sure! for how easy this recipe is.... definitely something to consider if you want a short quick brew day! i cant wait to try some more after a couple more weeks.

will report back with pics in a couple weeks

Hate to ask what is probably obvious to everyone else, but this is actual hops, not pellets, correct?

After a couple less-than-stellar brews this one looks right up my alley. Thanks! Just picked up the ingredients and I'll give it a go soon.

Brewed this so many times, it's a staple of my offerings and a BIG hit with pale ale drinkers I know. Did a little variation tonight, at the 15 minute hop addition I did 50/50 Chinook/Cascade, then Cascade the rest of the way. Also am trying Munton's ale yeast. Reviews of this are mixed, but I got some on the cheap so I figured WTH.

That was just how the original poster did it. So long as fermentation is complete, you can do what you like.

For this recipe, I've done 2 weeks in primary and the ale is great. Even cracked one after bottled 7 days and it was awesomely carbonated and delicious.

When I wrote this recipe up I put in that I reccomended at least 30 day fermentation. This has always given me a really clear beer allowing the yeast to settle out and giving them a chance to clean up an aftertaste and biproducts... but you can have this from kettle to bottle in 2 weeks easily.

Made this and tweaked recipe a bit.
Won't post it until I find out if it works.... no need to pass along problems, lol
SWMBO definitely liked the shorter brew day! lol

Piggy backed this yesterday with a no boil berliner weisse. Talk about an easy brew day, and getting two brews out of it! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

I amped this up to an IIPA (barleywine?) and got 8.93% ABV. I had 2lbs of extract, and figured why not.

Bottles are conditioning and a taste from my hydrometer sample was totally awesome, easy drinking, hoppy but not an obnoxious bitter bomb.

This was my recipe:

Starting volume: 1.25 gallon
Final volume: 1 gallon
OG 1.080
FG 1.012

2lbs light DME
2oz Crystal 60

Steeped grains until 165, then pulled them out.
Remove from heat, add DME, and bring to a boil.

Boil 15 minutes with the following additions:
1oz Cascade @ 15min
.75oz Cascade @ 10min
.25oz Cascade @ 5min
.25oz Mosaic @ 5min
.25oz Cascade @ flameout
.25oz Mosaic @ flameout

Dry hopped with 1/4oz Centennial and 1/2oz Cascade.

The drawback to doing this is that you lose some volume from all of those hops. When I went to bottle, I was a bottle or so short of what I usually get from a 1 gallon batch. The taste of it makes it totally worth it, though.

Marking this to come back to later. I'm going to size this down and try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anyone tried this with honey? The best beer I've ever made was with 2lb of honey. I was thinking of adding it to the primary once the krausen begins to fall.

I'm thinking of trying this recipe this weekend maybe with Centennial hops in the boil and Citra for dry hop.

Hi,

I brewed this beer last year and loved it! I have some hop left overs from my last brew:
- Amarillo (2 oz)
- Simcoe (2.5 oz)
- Warrior (2.75 oz)

Any suggestions on a good combination/scheme of the above mentioned hops to make a good tasting APA/IPA based on this recipe?

Thanks!
Lord McAle

Upping it to an IIPA sounds great but I would be concerned with dms and maybe other issues with such a big beer and a short boil.

Upping it to an IIPA sounds great but I would be concerned with dms and maybe other issues with such a big beer and a short boil.

It's been conditioning for a few weeks now in the bottle, and I had it about 6 weeks in primary.

First bottle I opened was not carbonated. Too early. Tasted great though. The 2nd bottle was carbonated and also tasted great. No off flavors or weirdness I can detect. The Mosaic comes through in a big way.

I'd never guess a 9% ABV beer could be so easy to drink.

Hi,

I brewed this beer last year and loved it! I have some hop left overs from my last brew:
- Amarillo (2 oz)
- Simcoe (2.5 oz)
- Warrior (2.75 oz)

Any suggestions on a good combination/scheme of the above mentioned hops to make a good tasting APA/IPA based on this recipe?

Thanks!
Lord McAle

Just guessing...
1oz Warrior @ 15min
1oz each Simcoe/Amarillo @ 5min
1oz Amarillo @ flameout
0.5oz Simcoe @ flameout
1oz Simcoe dry hop for 5-7 days

Should be like 45 IBUs. You can adjust the Warrior for less bitterness if you want.

Latest posts

Back