Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Extract - 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale

Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #61
frogtaco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do you guys recommend upping the dry-hopping to 2 oz Cascade? And when you add the dry hops, do you just crack the lid, toss in the hop pellets, and stick the lid back on?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #62
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogtaco View Post
Do you guys recommend upping the dry-hopping to 2 oz Cascade? And when you add the dry hops, do you just crack the lid, toss in the hop pellets, and stick the lid back on?

Thanks!
I used 2 oz of Saaz (not Cascade) to dry hop. (I had a bunch to use up.) I santized the hops by putting them in a measuring cup, putting in just enough vodka to cover them, and letting it sit for five minutes. Then, I just cracked the lid and threw them in, but then I had some small amount of hop debris floating around at bottling time. I didn't cold crash back then though, I assume that would have helped. If I were to do it again, I might throw the hops in a sack before putting them in.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #63
frogtaco
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverTime View Post
I used 2 oz of Saaz (not Cascade) to dry hop. (I had a bunch to use up.) I santized the hops by putting them in a measuring cup, putting in just enough vodka to cover them, and letting it sit for five minutes. Then, I just cracked the lid and threw them in, but then I had some small amount of hop debris floating around at bottling time. I didn't cold crash back then though, I assume that would have helped. If I were to do it again, I might throw the hops in a sack before putting them in.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #64
reed1099
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i just did this brew. followed your recipe to the t. i used notty as its what i had on hand and wanted to add some fruity esters. primaried at 68-70 for 12 days so far and my FG is at 1.022. seems super high. its still in the primary by the way. i left town for the first 7 days so don't know how much activity was going on then. i know my airlock is no hydrometer but i haven't seen any activity since iv been home. i was considering re-pitching another round of notty or adding some nutrients. I'm gonna give it a few more days and see what happens. any suggestions? also, did u guys use a bag to dry hop?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #65
Brewnoob1
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1099
i just did this brew. followed your recipe to the t. i used notty as its what i had on hand and wanted to add some fruity esters. primaried at 68-70 for 12 days so far and my FG is at 1.022. seems super high. its still in the primary by the way. i left town for the first 7 days so don't know how much activity was going on then. i know my airlock is no hydrometer but i haven't seen any activity since iv been home. i was considering re-pitching another round of notty or adding some nutrients. I'm gonna give it a few more days and see what happens. any suggestions? also, did u guys use a bag to dry hop?
I used a bag. I only did 1oz and it is amazing. I just kegged it on Friday and the sample going in was absolutely phenomenal. It's the perfect amount of hops for me
Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #66
mbburn05
Recipes 

I'm going to give this one a shot in a couple weeks when I pull the ingredients together. I'm pretty new, so it seems like a good one. I tend to like less hoppy beers, should I modify the recipe at all? Different hops, or less cascade? Thanks!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #67
reed1099
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1099
Any suggestions yet? Should I re-pitch?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #68
Brewnoob1
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If it hasn't moved, re-pitch.
Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #69
reed1099
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1
If it hasn't moved, re-pitch.
Checked it last night. It's down to 1.018. I think it'll be just fine now.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #70
mlstarbuck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbburn05 View Post
I'm going to give this one a shot in a couple weeks when I pull the ingredients together. I'm pretty new, so it seems like a good one. I tend to like less hoppy beers, should I modify the recipe at all? Different hops, or less cascade? Thanks!
This is a very good recipe. I made the jump to all grain back in March, but I tried this one 'cause sometimes 6 hour brew days suck! This is one of the best beers that I've made. My favorite style is Imperial IPA, so my opinion might be a bit skewed, but I think it's the perfect amount of bitterness for an American Pale Ale. You might want to lower the bittering hops by a touch, however. I do recommend upping the dry hops to 2 oz Cascade. Keep it with all Cascade. It's a perfect hop for pale ales, and with you being pretty green, you can savor all the grapefruity goodness that Cascade has to offer!

I will offer a bit of advice: monitor your fermentation temperature as closely as possible. I've found that in addition to sanitation, this is one of the most important factors in making good beer.

Cheers and good luck!