Weizenbock Weizenbock - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Weizenbock Weizenbock

Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #21
kingmatt

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Souderton, PA
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

I'll be brewing this as my next beer, thanks for the recipe!
On Deck: Conan IPA the next generation
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
jman300sd
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Long Beach, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How did this come out? What was everyones general impression? I'm looking to do a weizenbock and figured this is a good recipe to start with.....anything anyone would tweak? What was the decoction schedule?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
Yanniwithamohawk
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question: I just did my first ever all grain and my OG came out lower than the recipe called for, is there anything I can/ should do if its already chilled?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
jman300sd
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Long Beach, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Please don't hijack threads

-if you havent added the yeast yet you can add some DME dissolved in a small amount of water. Search the beginner brewing forum for specifics in terms of volumes. If you added the yeast, just let it ride.

Back to the Weizenbock....

Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #25
Yanniwithamohawk
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Um, thanks for the slap on the wrist? How do become forum police? Is there an application process?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
Andrewtherooster
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandbeergeek View Post
But aren't bocks lagers; this one calls for an ale yeast.

And i've got the ingredients all set for making his beer tomorrow, whatever it might be called.
This is a good question. I've seen recipes with ale yeast and ones with lager yeast. The few commercial examples I've had are relatively clean. Which is the standard?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #27
goshou
Recipes 

May 2012
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewtherooster View Post
This is a good question. I've seen recipes with ale yeast and ones with lager yeast. The few commercial examples I've had are relatively clean. Which is the standard?
Bocks and Doppelbocks are lagers - sort of stronger versions of, say, the hell/dunkel varieties. But a Weissbock/Weizenbock would use Weissbier yeast, because it is a stronger version of a Weissbier.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #28
Blackmuse
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Milton Mills, New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshou View Post
Bocks and Doppelbocks are lagers - sort of stronger versions of, say, the hell/dunkel varieties. But a Weissbock/Weizenbock would use Weissbier yeast, because it is a stronger version of a Weissbier.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I know this is a bit old now, but you are correct Goshou - It is a weisse bier because of the amount of wheat grain used (50% or more) and the yeast used is a hefe yeast - (BJCP guidelines mention the use of wheat yeast though they don't technically say they MUST be used)...

Bocks ARE Lagered beers but they are also HIGH % Alcohol beers - as is a weizenbock... The recipe mentioned can't be a dunkle weizen as the OG is too high...

Now, back to the question about HOW did they turn out??? I'm curious as I have only had the Weihenstephaner Vitus as far as weizenbocks go. It was a bit light for me (I like the darker beers (like Dunkleweizens))...

Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

In terms of a clone of Schneider Aventinus, it came out quite well. The first batch was a little hot due to fermentation issues, but the second batch with the same recipe and careful fermentation was very enjoyable.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #30
leftcontact
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Burke, VA
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

I have an aventinus glass I got in Germany; it identified the beer as a weizenstarkbier... Whatever that is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1166369358.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	87261