Dealing with camlock spills? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Dealing with camlock spills?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts

Used my pumps for the first time yesterday. The camlocks worked great, but I had issues with spills. When I moved hoses, some or all of the hot water or wort spilled, making a bit of a mess.

How do camlock users deal with these little spills? Is there a trick to preventing them, or should I put down a little trough or tarp?

Brewing outside, this won't be much of an issue. But with it getting colder, I move my brewing into the garage.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
St.Charles, MO
Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts

I put a bucket under the fitting before i open it.

Brewmoor Likes This 
Old 12-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Colorado
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakudwn View Post
I put a bucket under the fitting before i open it.
I use a deep plastic tray under my ports to catch the drips at my house. I think they were once used in a dark room to develop pictures. You could buy a deep baking pan and it would work the same.

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lakeland TN

I was looking at wallpaper trays. They are cheap, and about 2 foot long.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Reelale
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts

If you use silicone hose, pinching the hose near the connector stops siphoning action. Still a little spill, but the hose doesn't completely drain.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Liked 5468 Times on 5271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
If you use silicone hose, pinching the hose near the connector stops siphoning action. Still a little spill, but the hose doesn't completely drain.
Yep, that is what I have had to do...

It works pretty well and since I brew outside and have a floor drain under my brew set-up, a few drips of wort is no biggie...

My only real complaint is that pumping from bk to fermenter with a camlock on the end means I cannot shove the hose to the bottom of my Sanke. All the agitation results in a big foam head that comes shooting out of the sanke coupler... I have to basically hook up an extension to the pump output to smoothly transfer to Sanke.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Chemkrafty
Recipes 

May 2010
Charlotte, NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Set up a transfer line that only has a camlock on one end. Then you have a piece of tubing to feed into a carboy or other small necked vessel. Just like racking, but with a pump!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
bendavanza

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Oak CLiff, TX
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

An A-clamp can pinch the hose to prevent loss, or I've seen brewers use hemostats to pinch the tubing when swapping fittings.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
SankePankey

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hudson Valley, New York
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

My cam-locked plate chiller is (soon to be) mounted right above my HLT next to all my other ports (water in, water out, recircs). That means that every input/output port besides wort out is drip-able right back into the HLT like a patchbay. (My rig has plenty of pumps...

For small drips below the tuns, I have large rubber bar mats underneath- you know the kind for drying glasses and such. I just let them dry and put them in the dish washer.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Cpt_Kirks

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lakeland TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankePankey View Post
My cam-locked plate chiller is (soon to be) mounted right above my HLT next to all my other ports (water in, water out, recircs). That means that every input/output port besides wort out is drip-able right back into the HLT like a patchbay. (My rig has plenty of pumps...

For small drips below the tuns, I have large rubber bar mats underneath- you know the kind for drying glasses and such. I just let them dry and put them in the dish washer.
How about some pics of your setup?