what CAD program are people using? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > what CAD program are people using?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
terrazza
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
portland
Posts: 168
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts



What CAD program are people using when drawing out wiring diagrams that show equipment photos attached to their drawn out wires? Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
JayInJersey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
JayInJersey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
New Jersey
Posts: 595
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I use Visio which isn't really a CAD program at all...I'd love one that actually showed currents and issues...and be able to run simple simulations

They used to have ones like that for circuit planning but I haven't seen one in years
__________________
Hazard Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Tiber_Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Posts: 2,443
Liked 223 Times on 159 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
I use Visio which isn't really a CAD program at all...I'd love one that actually showed currents and issues...and be able to run simple simulations

They used to have ones like that for circuit planning but I haven't seen one in years
I used one like that for hydraulic circuits in my fluid power engineering class years back. I imagine that would be handy for electrical circuits as well.

TB
__________________
On tap:
1. American Pale Ale 2. Michigan IPL 3. Helles 4. Kentucky Common 5.[Nitrogen] Oat Blonde
Primary:
1. Oatmeal Stout 2. Oatmeal Stout 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 28 gallons of beer & 2.5 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Helles, Kentucky Common

Current batch #: 227

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,336
Liked 302 Times on 235 Posts


I use Microsoft Image Composer. I can place all of the images, and bits & pieces necessary to create my diagrams. It also allows me to use different layers so that objects can be placed in front or behind others. When finished, I can save it as a JPG file. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to create, resize and adjust image components.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
TheAleMaster
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Seattle, WA
Posts: 216
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Visio. And I don't even use the electrical components. Just the standard "flowchart" stuff with everything clearly labeled.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Tiber_Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Posts: 2,443
Liked 223 Times on 159 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I use Microsoft Image Composer. I can place all of the images, and bits & pieces necessary to create my diagrams. It also allows me to use different layers so that objects can be placed in front or behind others. When finished, I can save it as a JPG file. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to create, resize and adjust image components.
And I must add that he's pretty damn good with that program, too.

TB
__________________
On tap:
1. American Pale Ale 2. Michigan IPL 3. Helles 4. Kentucky Common 5.[Nitrogen] Oat Blonde
Primary:
1. Oatmeal Stout 2. Oatmeal Stout 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none 5. none
Bottled:
About 28 gallons of beer & 2.5 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Rye Barrel aged DIPA, Helles, Kentucky Common

Current batch #: 227

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Huff360
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Madison, Alabama
Posts: 419
Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tiber_brew View Post
i used one like that for hydraulic circuits in my fluid power engineering class years back. I imagine that would be handy for electrical circuits as well.

Tb
pspice

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
trigger
 
trigger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
portland
Posts: 629
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Huff360, where did you get your libraries for pSPICE? I've always used the student version which doesn't have much in the way of analog components. Great for simple digital circuits, but that's not of much help in brewery building...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Huff360
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Madison, Alabama
Posts: 419
Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts


I got a "full version" on a special deal while in school and it had a fair number of components built in. To be honest though, I hadn't really thought about what is and is not in there.

That is a pretty good point. Most everything that I've done in it has been digital.... Hmmmm maybe that was a bad recommendation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Quaffer
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Snohomish, WA
Posts: 418
Liked 30 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff360 View Post
Most everything that I've done in it has been digital.... Hmmmm maybe that was a bad recommendation.
Not at all, it is a good recommendation. I have not used it for years, but this is a very usefull analog circuit simulator. It can do generic components out of the box and IC manufacturers publish spice models for their op amps.
__________________
Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump