Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > need advice on first batch
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
noddin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 9
Default need advice on first batch

Hoping I can solicit some advise here.

So my first batch has been fermenting away in primary for 2 weeks now. It’s just a simple pale ale and went in with a gravity reading of 1.049. I didn’t notice a ton of bubbling out of the airlock but after reading many threads here decided that wasn’t a concern. Fermenter has been well within temperature range around 20 degrees Celsius. Anyway I took a gravity reading today after throwing in .5 oz of cascade for dry hop and found the beer only at 1.022 on the hydrometer – I thought it would be a bit lower than that by now. Perhaps I didn’t aerate quite enough (I went at the wort with a whisk for about 1 minute) – I used Wyeast American Ale II – and the yeast was good, package swelled up nice before I pitched – I did not make a starter however.

Anyway just wondering what to do now – is there any way to “rouse” the yeast or should I just keep it in primary for another week as per my plan and then bottle? Will it ferment down some more?


noddin is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Lilahblossom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fairchild, Wi.
Posts: 35
Default

Kick the bucket when you go by.


Lilahblossom is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Newbeerguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 810
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddin View Post
Hoping I can solicit some advise here.

So my first batch has been fermenting away in primary for 2 weeks now. It’s just a simple pale ale and went in with a gravity reading of 1.049. I didn’t notice a ton of bubbling out of the airlock but after reading many threads here decided that wasn’t a concern. Fermenter has been well within temperature range around 20 degrees Celsius. Anyway I took a gravity reading today after throwing in .5 oz of cascade for dry hop and found the beer only at 1.022 on the hydrometer – I thought it would be a bit lower than that by now. Perhaps I didn’t aerate quite enough (I went at the wort with a whisk for about 1 minute) – I used Wyeast American Ale II – and the yeast was good, package swelled up nice before I pitched – I did not make a starter however.

Anyway just wondering what to do now – is there any way to “rouse” the yeast or should I just keep it in primary for another week as per my plan and then bottle? Will it ferment down some more?

I am assuming that this was an extract batch, and extracts seem to finish a tad higher. Not sure of the tempature of your hydro sample, but 1.022 FG isn't out of the question. A yeast starter may of helped, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe put bucket in a warmer room for a few days and check the gravity. If it stays the same over 3 days, bottle it up!
Newbeerguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: western/central new york
Posts: 1,492
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

You could raise the temp a little or
make a starter and pitch at high krausen you might get a it to drop a little more.
__________________
damn I gotta brew something
killian is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,629
Liked 408 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeerguy View Post
I am assuming that this was an extract batch, and extracts seem to finish a tad higher. Not sure of the tempature of your hydro sample, but 1.022 FG isn't out of the question.
Bull!!!!

Extract will ferment out as well as an average temperature mash, unless you use something like Laagerlander, in which case you are screwed. I'm not sure they make it any more; that was only 55% fermentable.

Keep it warm and rouse the yeast. Obviously I have not seen the recipe, but if it is 'standard', you should get down to 1.012/1.014 or lower.
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
noddin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeerguy View Post
I am assuming that this was an extract batch, and extracts seem to finish a tad higher. Not sure of the tempature of your hydro sample, but 1.022 FG isn't out of the question. A yeast starter may of helped, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe put bucket in a warmer room for a few days and check the gravity. If it stays the same over 3 days, bottle it up!
Yep it was an extract batch - 4lbs DME and 2lbs LME. I'll see if I can get the fermenter in a warmer room for some time. Thanks for the advise guys.


noddin is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for advice on batch #2 deepsouth Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-14-2009 05:30 PM
Need advice on my first batch BillyDee Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 05-07-2009 03:25 PM
First batch, need advice. dinks Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 10-07-2007 07:26 AM
Advice On My First Batch chris_uk Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 08-11-2005 03:13 PM
First Batch Advice robhodge3 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 03-31-2005 05:38 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS