Got hops fatigue. Malty suggestions? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Got hops fatigue. Malty suggestions?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
PintOfBitter

Recipes 

Feb 2007
USA
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I have normally been mostly an IPA drinker, like many homebrewers. I just finished off 5 gallons of an IPA, and really found that I wasn't enjoying it for the last few weeks, even though it had matured beautifully. I'm just fatigued on bitter, bright flavors right now.

I need a switch to keep my palate interested. I adore sour beers, but I don't have time to brew one, they are expensive and generally don't have great distribution.

Suggest to me some non-boring but milder, malt-centric beers that can be found easily? Much obliged.

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts

Old 12-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7021 Times on 4156 Posts

Make a nice carmelly ESB. That's what I did. Fullers makes a nice one. If you want to brew one, jamil Z. has a great recipe that is guaranteed to please.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
TANSTAAFB

Recipes 

May 2010
San Luis Valley, CO
Liked 121 Times on 94 Posts

A lot of the best beers are regional...just depends on where you are at.

I really enjoyed Oskar Blues Old Chub. Great Scotch Ale where the boozy alcohol and solid bitterness balance the almost cloying malt backbone

Old 12-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Vienna lagers are one of my alternative styles for when I want to take a break from hops. I won an award for my version in my recipe pull down.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
strat_thru_marshall

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Oklahoma City
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

How about a nice Oatmeal Stout? Nice and malty without being cloying or sweet, plus if you brew a small-ish one you can drink many pints!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I make a Dead Guy clone about once a year. It's a malt bomb, and great for a change.
And it is fantastic!!!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 AM   #8
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
staten island
Liked 547 Times on 416 Posts

I felt the same way recently, so I've been buying malty type beers. I had a bellhaven scottish ale, fullers ESB, Skull Splitter, and I'm drinking a Monchshof Schwarz right now. Love all of those. So I looked up some decent Scottish type ale recipes, and settled on the Northern Brewer Karls scottish 90 shilling. The only thing I'm a little weary about is the hops. It uses 2 oz of EKG, so I'm thinking it might be a bit much. I'm still brewing according to the directions.
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Yankee Hill, CA
Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I had some Gordon Biersch Winterbock this week and was really blown away. I'm the same way, it's always something hoppy, so the Winterbock was a nice change of pace. It's a Doppelbock and is very tasty.
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter

Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
SteveM
Recipes 

Aug 2005
Philadelphia area
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

PassedPawn beat me to it - an ESB is a nice change from the typical American pales but still "accessible," taste-wise, for someone who is used to hoppy beers.

Think global, drink local.