Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Partial Mash Caramel Porter!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
IrlandeseBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok so here is an update. Brewed it last Sunday (12/5/10) and I justed checked the gravity today. Fermentation looks like it went well...my OG was 1.051 and I have it now at 1.012 so right along the lines of expected. As for the flavor I unfortunately do not have much of a caramel infusion as hoped. Maybe a little sense of it on the tongue mid sip, but it does finish off with a nice malty, slightly chocolate flavor. I find it wonderful regardless as it will be a great brew for the cold days ahead. I believe upping the C120 as recommended and maybe exploring the longer and higher temp steeping time of those as Dick562 suggested may be the ticket. I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board and drink away my sorrows with this "failure" lol...

Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
IrlandeseBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So for anyone who has looked at this. After two weeks in the keg now the carbination is awesome. I was feeling like it had an interesting flavor almost like iodine when I first keg and tasted it...although it was not carb yet. Now it tastes pretty good. Nice malt character with a coffee chocolate finish. Not really strong just a decent brew. As for the caramel I can't taste a hint of it. So next time I will try to use crystal 120 and look for potential caramel extract to add. If anyone has thoughts or tried their own please let me know! Thanks!