Winter Seasonal Beer Mason's Winter Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masonsjax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04 English Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Additional Fermentation
2-6 week cold storage optional
Tasting Notes
Sweet malt w/plum/roast; citrus/slight herbal hoppy finish
This winter warmer turned out to be one of the best beers I have ever brewed. I was shooting for something in the ballpark of Dechutes Jubelale, to give you an idea of what it kinda tastes like.

I kegged this batch after about 4 week primary, then let it chill in my lager fridge for about 6 months (I wanted to save it for fall). It is a little bit on the malty side up front, just bitter enough, with a very nice almost fruity, slightly herbal finishing aroma and aftertaste. This is a very well balanced, tasty beer that got many positive comments and was the brew that kept everyone going back for more. Enjoy!

11.00 lb US 2-row
1.50 lb Caramel 120L
1.00 lb Caramel 80L
0.25 lb (4 oz) CaraPils
0.125 lb (2 oz) Roasted Barley 550L

Safale S-04 English Ale Yeast

1.00 oz. Galena [11.0%] @ 60 min
0.50 oz. Cascade [5.4%] @ 60 min
0.50 oz. Willamette [4.5%] @ 60 min
0.50 oz. Cascade [5.4%] @ 30 min
0.50 oz. Willamette [4.5%] @ 0 min
0.50 oz. Cascade [5.4%] @ 0 min
0.50 oz. Willamette [4.5%] @ Dry Hop
0.50 oz. Cascade [5.4%] @ Dry Hop

Mash at 152 F for 60 mins.
Boil 75 mins.

Brewing this tomorrow as the first half of a partigyle. Going for an American Brown Ale for the small beer. Hopefully the roast will be muted enough. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the recipe. BTW, how close does it come to Jubelale? That's one of my favorites.

It's been a long while since I've had Jubalale, but when I was tweaking this recipe I was comparing notes against the real thing. I wasn't trying for a clone, but I thought the grain bill was pretty close. It's not too roasty for a partigyle, but you might want to add a little extract or mash some more grain for the second runnings cause it's not a super heavy OG. I haven't tried to get a second beer from this particular recipe but I think it would be a good candidate.

Also, I made this using Pacman yeast the last couple of times with very good results.

I bumped it up based on wanting to get 1.050 out of the second runnings. It was a really big mash, as I was going for 7 gallons of 1.100 wort, and another 7 gallons of 1.050.

For the winter warmer, I ended up with about 6.5 gallons of 1.098 wort, so it really will be a different beer. Should end up right around 10% ABV, which I hope will be pretty nice.

Strangely, I overshot my gravity slightly on the second runnings, so I got 6.75 gallons of 1.060 wort for the brown ale.

Looks like ~77% mash efficiency, which is OK. I'm still trying to get the system dialed in for partigyle brewing, but this attempt gave me a lot of good information as far as getting things dialed in a little better for next time.

Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

Back