robust porter: lacking roasted barely but having roasted grain - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > robust porter: lacking roasted barely but having roasted grain
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Oakland, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't understand this part of the Robust Porter description for the BJCP guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php#1b

"... it may be distinguished from Stout as lacking a strong roasted barley character. It differs from a brown porter in that a black patent or roasted grain character is usually present..."

What is the difference between "roasted barkey" and "roasted grain" flavors, how can it lack one but have the other?

Old 12-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Legin
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Seattle, Washington

Stouts and porters are essentially the same. The main difference is that a porter usually doesn't have roasted barley in it, which gives stouts a richer, toasty flavor. In the place of roasted barley, black patent (a roasted grain) is used to give it its dark color without the heaviness of a stout.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Captain Damage
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Lowell, Massachusetts
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts

The difference is whether the grain is malted or not. Black patent is black roasted malted barley. Roasted barley is not malted. The flavors are different.

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

McKnuckle Likes This 
Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
finnb
Recipes 

Aug 2015

I really don't think there's much of a difference. M.J.Lewis writes in "Stout", from "Classic Beer Styls Series": "Only roasted malt is used by Guiness for export beer. But for other beers, Guiness uses either roasted malt or roasted barley, and they have not been able to detect a flavor difference between these two roasted products (Robert Letters, personal communication).

Old 02-12-2016, 03:02 AM   #5
McKnuckle
Recipes 

Feb 2014
NW Bergen County, NJ
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

Plus there are lots of roasted grains, all malted: Biscuit, Amber, brown, pale chocolate, chocolate, black patent, the Carafa family. "Roasted barley" - by that name - is not malted.

You need to brew with them to get used to their contributions. It's confusing, though, I'd agree.