Dry Hopping with Leaf Hops in a Blichmann Conical? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping with Leaf Hops in a Blichmann Conical?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
HopBlooded
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Yakima, WA
Posts: 77


I've been looking everywhere for tips on dry hopping with leaf hops in conicals and haven't yet found an answer that really answers my question.

In the manual it says "Do not use loose whole leaf hops for dry-hopping!" and recommends using pellets or a hop bag. Obviously the easy answer is to use pellets, but I prefer to use leaf hops when possible. The problem is that stuffing 4 oz of leaf hops in a hop bag results in the bag just kinda floating there. I've used sanitized marbles successfully with 2 oz of hops, but any more than that and the marbles aren't heavy enough to pull all the hops down into the beer (or you need to use a ridiculous number of marbles)

So I've got a black IPA with 4.25 oz of Citra in my 14 gal Fermenator right now. Yesterday I boiled the bag and marbles, stuffed the hops in the bag, tied it off with fishing line and crammed the whole thing down the hatch. I theorized that once the hops began absorbing some of the beer that they would begin to sink. I sanitized a stainless spoon and tried to push the bag under to get it wet (gently so as to keep from aerating the beer). I checked on it again just now and the bag's just floating on top of the beer still.

Not sure what to do at this point. Like I said, I'd prefer to use leaf hops if I could, but if pellets really are the best thing to do, I'm happy to switch. Does anyone have any good ideas about this?

Thanks in advance!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
pompeiisneaks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Redmond, WA
Posts: 853
Liked 52 Times on 29 Posts


I don't know a perfect answer, but I have a suggestion. I know the blichmann fermenters have rotating racking arms. Maybe you could make sure thats' rotated downward enough to tie a string to the hop bag and hook it over that to keep it down low? If not, maybe use a stainless spoon or some heavy object like it that can be sanitized to just keep it down low as well. Other than that, not sure. Do you get significant loss of dry hopping aromas by letting it float on the top?


__________________
~Phil
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
lamarguy
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Austin, TX
Posts: 1,652
Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts


The hop bag should sink after 5 - 7 days.

You may consider putting a coarse mesh screen on the racking arm and just dump in the whole hops. That's what I do in my sanke keg fermenter. The hops are settled on the bottom by day 7.
__________________
Doggfather Brewery

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
calpyro
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
New Albion, State of Jefferson USA
Posts: 271
Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts


My process is to use whole hops in a Corney Keg with a stainless steel mesh tube over the pickup tube: http://www.northernbrewer.com/defaul...reen&x=22&y=17
I have a bunch of them and they work great for whole hops. Best of all the hops can be put in loose for better hop utilization.

If the Surescreen is the size of a Corney Keg pickup tube, by it and slip it over the racking tube.
Give it a try, they are cheap.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HopBlooded View Post
I've been looking everywhere for tips on dry hopping with leaf hops in conicals and haven't yet found an answer that really answers my question.

In the manual it says "Do not use loose whole leaf hops for dry-hopping!" and recommends using pellets or a hop bag. Obviously the easy answer is to use pellets, but I prefer to use leaf hops when possible. The problem is that stuffing 4 oz of leaf hops in a hop bag results in the bag just kinda floating there. I've used sanitized marbles successfully with 2 oz of hops, but any more than that and the marbles aren't heavy enough to pull all the hops down into the beer (or you need to use a ridiculous number of marbles)

So I've got a black IPA with 4.25 oz of Citra in my 14 gal Fermenator right now. Yesterday I boiled the bag and marbles, stuffed the hops in the bag, tied it off with fishing line and crammed the whole thing down the hatch. I theorized that once the hops began absorbing some of the beer that they would begin to sink. I sanitized a stainless spoon and tried to push the bag under to get it wet (gently so as to keep from aerating the beer). I checked on it again just now and the bag's just floating on top of the beer still.

Not sure what to do at this point. Like I said, I'd prefer to use leaf hops if I could, but if pellets really are the best thing to do, I'm happy to switch. Does anyone have any good ideas about this?

Thanks in advance!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
HopBlooded
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Yakima, WA
Posts: 77

I'm assuming that the hops that aren't in contact with the beer aren't contributing anything to the aroma, but I've never tested it.

I like the idea of putting a screen on the racking arm. Even if they aren't settled out completely by the end of one week, the screen should keep the hop matter out of the kegs. Is it as simple as using a zip tie and a coarse mesh cloth?

Thanks for the tips guys!

Edit: calpyro must have beat me in by 53 seconds, but the Surescreen is a great idea too. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
calpyro
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
New Albion, State of Jefferson USA
Posts: 271
Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts


When I went from hops in bags, to having the hops loose with a Surescreen, the results were fantastic! I get together with other hombrewers to taste beers and nobody can create the same dry-hop flavors without their hops being loose in the beer. When you are not constrained to what can fit in a bag, you can put alot of hops in a conical or a Corney Keg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopBlooded View Post
I'm assuming that the hops that aren't in contact with the beer aren't contributing anything to the aroma, but I've never tested it.

I like the idea of putting a screen on the racking arm. Even if they aren't settled out completely by the end of one week, the screen should keep the hop matter out of the kegs. Is it as simple as using a zip tie and a coarse mesh cloth?

Thanks for the tips guys!

Edit: calpyro must have beat me in by 53 seconds, but the Surescreen is a great idea too. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
HopBlooded
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Yakima, WA
Posts: 77

That's awesome. Thanks for the tip. How do you secure the Surescreen to the racking arm / dip tube? Hose clamp?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 3,654
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HopBlooded View Post
That's awesome. Thanks for the tip. How do you secure the Surescreen to the racking arm / dip tube? Hose clamp?
I'm interested too. My method for doing this in a corny keg is my wife's long thin arms. With the corny keg dip tube it stays in place once you get it in pace. Obviously with a rotating racking arm in a conical it needs to be on there.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
calpyro
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
New Albion, State of Jefferson USA
Posts: 271
Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts


To keep the Surescreen attached to the tube, I just put a couple of gentle bends in it and friction keeps it on. It has never come off.
For my Corney Kegs, I also put a gentle bend in the bottom of the dip tube to allow the Surescreen to sit horizonally along the bottom of the keg.


Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I'm interested too. My method for doing this in a corny keg is my wife's long thin arms. With the corny keg dip tube it stays in place once you get it in pace. Obviously with a rotating racking arm in a conical it needs to be on there.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
HopBlooded
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Yakima, WA
Posts: 77

Thanks a ton for the tips. I ordered 3 Surescreens this morning. Looking forward to testing it out next week. Cheers!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dry hopping in conical fermenter beta pleated sheet General Techniques 10 12-05-2014 07:25 PM
Dry hopping? pellets vs leaf vs plugs bkov General Techniques 10 02-25-2013 08:34 PM
dry hopping with whole leaf hops Graeme General Techniques 27 08-14-2011 09:59 PM
conical dry hopping? isac777 General Techniques 3 08-13-2009 02:25 PM
Dry Hopping with Leaf Hops tbone General Techniques 4 01-26-2008 02:40 PM


Forum Jump