Ever built a still? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Ever built a still?

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #11
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts

The problem is that distilling is illegal. I have mentioned NUMEROUS times that the only reason I started brewing wsa to learn how to mash so I could distill but I have never mentioned (at least I dont think I have) if I am actually distilling or not.

Retarded as it is in the governments eyes if you are distiling or have been distilling is just as bad as running a meth lab.

Now I'm 99.9% sure that the ATF isn't watching this site just waiting to pounce on the first person to admit to brewing that 1 galon of homebrew past their household limit, BUT at the same time I wouldnt be airing out my laundry here.

(99.9% WOW, thats comming from someone that doesnt trust his government 1 bit, I'm getting soft in my old age . . . budbo you need to straighten me out)

Old 01-31-2007, 01:20 AM   #12
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

If I was a FED in the alcohol section I would be looking at sites like this to see what is going on. Would be stupid not to.

ARE THERE ANY FEDS HERE????

..are you a FED?

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 01-31-2007, 04:49 AM   #13
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Sorry about my response, could be considered over-reacting as well. I've read (in this same 18+ forum section) people talk about taking LCD (*edited- I mean LSD), ****ting their pants and plenty of stealing things, defacing property and of course tons of marijuana involved stories. I didn't think adding a 6 year old story of a 5 gallon still was adding too much to the pile. But, I'll keep those stories for late night verbal ramblings in real life.

Sorry again for those offended.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:54 AM   #14
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts

Distilling is illegal in all 50 states and most every where else. New Zealand has legalized it and there is a bunch of cool stuff happening there. I have had the chance to do it commercially and think it is about as much fun as brewing (almost!)

Old 01-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #15
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Liked 75 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
I've read (in this same 18+ forum section) people talk about taking LCD, ****ting their pants and plenty of stealing things, defacing property and of course tons of marijuana involved stories. . . .

I avoid those thread normally (except sharting your pants, it's not illegal and funny as hell)

BTW I honestly think I am un-offendable (I just tend to write people off as morons, but your safe ) so no worries

Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 AM   #16
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Wow, ok, sorry, thought the drunken ramblings forum would be for, well, drunken ramblings. Including being hammered drunk, and teenage idiocy. Sorry to have offended anyone in an anonymous alcohol forum... truly unexpected response, if I could delete the post I would.
seefresh, if you want me to delete this I will.

Everyone else, lay off a little! I haven't read the law where it says we can't talk about distilling! It is extremely interesting and something I would love to be able to do as well.

seefresh didn't do anything wrong in my eyes, he even posted this in the right spot! I've seen MUCH worse on this forum.

Let's just try to be a little more accomodating.

kthx.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 AM   #17
Ize

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Sorry about my response, could be considered over-reacting as well. I've read (in this same 18+ forum section) people talk about taking LCD, ****ting their pants and plenty of stealing things, defacing property and of course tons of marijuana involved stories. I didn't think adding a 6 year old story of a 5 gallon still was adding too much to the pile. But, I'll keep those stories for late night verbal ramblings in real life.

Man, no worries from this front. Create a story around it. "I was thinking about a time when something inhabited my body and I got the idea to distill alcohol, and then for fun added some really good herbs for dry-hopping purposes. We ended up with some really great beverages and the next hookah party was amaaaaazzzzing. Then again the whole thing could have been implanted subliminally in my mind by the gypsy that lived upstairs."

Just a ramble...

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #18
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

Quote:
Everything is a-okay. It's not that people are offended, it's just the legality question. There have been a number of posts recently from underage kids asking how to basically make hooch in their room. Many of use here don't want to intentionally encourage underage drinking, especially when there could be a possibility of it getting the site into legal trouble. Distilling is kinda in that same ballpark. It's a very interesting subject and one that should be discussed, but the fact that doing it at home remains illegal in the US makes some of us a little leery about divulging a bunch of info. Mostly just as a precaution against some nosey ninny trying to shut the site down.

Dude hit it right on the head. You posted in the right section! Distillation has me interested, although, if I was going to do any, I don't know if I would admit it.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 AM   #19
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Oct 2005
Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So aside from the obvious illegal aspects of ruining your liver with something like that, isn't there something about stills, alternative fuels, etc...?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:51 AM   #20
t-dogg
Recipes 

Nov 2006
b'ham alabama

you can make beer but you can't boil it,collect the vapors,cool those and drink it.

Closed Thread