Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > So here's a brand new %*^@-up for you...

Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #31
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasszy View Post
Forget fruit extracts.... expecially berry. I always can tell the difference. Use real fruit, if you want to get out every last bit of haze, plate filter it.
see, i've heard the opposite, that once the yeast metabolize the fruit sugar, there isn't much flavor of the base fruit.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #32
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4837 Times on 4715 Posts
Likes Given: 2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
see, i've heard the opposite, that once the yeast metabolize the fruit sugar, there isn't much flavor of the base fruit.
As long as you do not heat or over-heat the fruit to set the pectins, the debate comes down to primary vs secondary (which comes down to a somewhat religious conversation for some). I think the flavor quality of canned or extract vs fresh applies exactly to the quality you get in aroma/flavor eating them raw (although I would guess extracts will be more repeatable).

Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #33
gicts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
Then how do fruit wines retain their flavors? Or in that case is there just that much more fruit? On the flip side there is more yeast activity though...

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #34
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Guys, guys, guys, let's stay on track.

Cape's concern is with a post boil sparge, not with the fruit. He's doing this to save humanity from it's own non post-boil sparging ways, so let's stay on topic.

I'm sure Cape would have answered, but he's busy eating his fruit filled crepes, broccoli quiche and sipping mimosas...pinky up, of course.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #35
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
I'm sure Cape would have answered, but he's busy eating his fruit filled crepes, broccoli quiche and sipping mimosas...pinky up, of course.

hahaha, cape sucks.

wait, what were we talking about? fruit wine?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #36
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6209 Times on 4422 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
Guys, guys, guys, let's stay on track.

Cape's concern is with a post boil sparge, not with the fruit. He's doing this to save humanity from it's own non post-boil sparging ways, so let's stay on topic.

I can't believe I didn't see this thread until now. I read EVERY thread in this forum, and I missed this one.

In my defense, I saw who the OP was and I assumed there was nothing of value in this thread. I was so wrong!!!!!!!!!

I'm finishing up a 60 minute boil, and my MLT is still sitting here full of grain, for the first time ever. In my defense, though, it's cold and snowing and I'd have to take my slippers off to go to the compost pile and dump it. I'm just going to wait until Bob wakes up from his nap and ask him to do it.

However, I will point out to any new brewers who are wondering, I DID disconnect the hoses from the MLT, so that there is no way I could pump wort back into it. I mean, I could spray wort all over the brewery through the disconnected hoses, which has happened before. But no way could I pump fresh wort through the MLT.

Blueberries, huh? Gross.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #37
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I can't believe I didn't see this thread until now. I read EVERY thread in this forum, and I missed this one.

In my defense, I saw who the OP was and I assumed there was nothing of value in this thread. I was so wrong!!!!!!!!!

I'm finishing up a 60 minute boil, and my MLT is still sitting here full of grain, for the first time ever. In my defense, though, it's cold and snowing and I'd have to take my slippers off to go to the compost pile and dump it. I'm just going to wait until Bob wakes up from his nap and ask him to do it.

However, I will point out to any new brewers who are wondering, I DID disconnect the hoses from the MLT, so that there is no way I could pump wort back into it. I mean, I could spray wort all over the brewery through the disconnected hoses, which has happened before. But no way could I pump fresh wort through the MLT.

Blueberries, huh? Gross.

Ha! Ha! You just got faced by the Yoop. n00b.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #38
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
I mean, I could spray wort all over the brewery through the disconnected hoses, which has happened before. But no way could I pump fresh wort through the MLT.
Just keep your titties out of the way, m'kay?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #39
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
In my defense, I saw who the OP was and I assumed there was nothing of value in this thread.
WHAT... THE... $%^@!?!? That's crap. A big steaming pile of crap. If there was an award for "Adding most value" on all of HBT I would come in second... only to Revvy 'cause he trolls the Beginner forum looking for opportunities to copy and paste a tome on "no bubbles doesn't mean no fermentation". A CLOSE second!!!!

Such crap!

Quote:

Blueberries, huh? Gross.
Don't look at me... it ain't mah beah

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #40
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6209 Times on 4422 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Just keep your titties out of the way, m'kay?
I just choked on my beer, damn you! And it was a good oatmeal stout.

for your information, I'm not sporting a SCAR! That right, a scar! And you just make fun. Hmmph.

Of course, I will acknowledge that a brewing scar on your tit is fodder for conversation.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans