"Rinsing the Grain Bed"? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Rinsing the Grain Bed"?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
BigTexun
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Atlanta
Posts: 125
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts



Hello All,

I'm pretty new to this all grain stuff and I'm wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot. Specifically, here is my question:

After I collect my 2nd runnings, I have been putting 130 degree water into my grain bed and drawing it off until I get to my desired boil volume. I do this because it both seemed logical and is visibly clear that I am getting a lot of additional sugars that would otherwise be tossed with the spent grain.

Is this a mistake?

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts


The second sparge isn't bad, but that temp is a bit high. That hot and you can be extracting a lot of tannins from the grain.

edit: misread the temp. Nevermind the temp is too high comment.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
JonK331
 
JonK331's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,099
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Hmmmm, I was going to say that 130F is low. I always sparge with 175F water.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
rockytoptim's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Livonia, MI
Posts: 774
Liked 95 Times on 76 Posts


I thought you didnt have to worry about extracting tannins until you got over 170 Deg F. I ususally sparge with 150 - 160 deg F water and haven't had any issues with extracting tannins.
__________________
On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
BigTexun
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Atlanta
Posts: 125
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
The second sparge isn't bad, but that temp is a bit high. That hot and you can be extracting a lot of tannins from the grain.
Thanks for your input!!!!

Interestingly, I was more worried about it being too cool since BeerSmith has me put in 196 F water for the Mash Out (which drops to like 177 when mixed with the grain bed). I'm pretty confident that this second sparge (that I do immediately after the 196 deg mashout), is actually cooling the grain, not heating it. Will that release tanins?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
JonK331
 
JonK331's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,099
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Yeah my understanding is that you don't want the grain bed to get too much over 165 or so. Adding 175 degree water just keeps it warm enough so that the mash doesn't gelatinize. That's why I don't really get the whole point of a mash out. Why would you add boiling water to the grain when you are going to boil the whole thing anyway?

To the OP - Are you doing a batch or fly sparge? What do you mean by second runnings? If you are continuing to sparge to collect your desired amount of wort, that is still considered first runnings. Second runnings would be collecting more wort after you have enough for one batch. The term second runnings usually means you are collecting more wort for a second and light batch of wort that will ferment separately from your first.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
JonK331
 
JonK331's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,099
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexun View Post
Thanks for your input!!!!

Interestingly, I was more worried about it being too cool since BeerSmith has me put in 196 F water for the Mash Out (which drops to like 177 when mixed with the grain bed). I'm pretty confident that this second sparge (that I do immediately after the 196 deg mashout), is actually cooling the grain, not heating it. Will that release tanins?
I have never heard of sparging that low: Here's what Palmer says: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html

And here's another thread on the same subject: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/spar...rature-141885/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts


My bad. I misread the temp. Still waking up and my eyes aren't catching up to the rest of me yet. That is a bit on the low side.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
BigTexun
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Atlanta
Posts: 125
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Yeah my understanding is that you don't want the grain bed to get too much over 165 or so. Adding 175 degree water just keeps it warm enough so that the mash doesn't gelatinize. That's why I don't really get the whole point of a mash out. Why would you add boiling water to the grain when you are going to boil the whole thing anyway?

To the OP - Are you doing a batch or fly sparge? What do you mean by second runnings? If you are continuing to sparge to collect your desired amount of wort, that is still considered first runnings. Second runnings would be collecting more wort after you have enough for one batch. The term second runnings usually means you are collecting more wort for a second and light batch of wort that will ferment separately from your first.
I don't have all the terminology down. BeerSmith calls it a "single infusion, full body." Here's what I'm doing, if you'd be so kind, I'd really like to know what it is called:

Step1: I add 11.88 quarts of 170.5 F... this drops to 158 F and I let it sit for 45 minutes.

Step 2: I vorlaf, then collect everything that'll come out.

Step 3: I add 4.57 quarts at 197 F, which drops to 168 F... let this soak for 10 minutes... and collect everything that'll come out.

Step 4: Since I don't have the 6.5 gallons that I want, I pour 130 F water through the bed until I get 6.5 gallons. I use 130 F water because that's the temp I get from the tap.

BeerSmith calls Step 1 the Mash In, and Step 3 the Mash Out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
stevo155
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Derry, NH
Posts: 979
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts


I batch sparge, which it seems like the OP is doing, with 190-195 F water. For the short amount of time it's in there, there is not going to be any significant tannin extraction. Picked up this procedure from Denny Conn and have been doing it for 15-20 batces and never had a problem.
__________________
BN Army for Life!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a grain to give "depth" to my session bitter badmajon All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 33 02-03-2011 10:17 PM
Caution for those of us using "Feed store" grain truckjohn All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 09-23-2010 12:30 AM
Anyone tried the "Easy Cream Ale" in the All Grain Sample 1 from BeerSmith? BillTheSlink All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 06-30-2009 03:59 AM
Water to grain ratio "1st all grain brew" Jaybrinks All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 09-22-2008 01:14 AM
"Barley Crusher" Grain Mill, Anyone own one of these? BierMuncher All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 33 06-27-2007 11:27 AM


Forum Jump