Here is the recipe I used. I based it on the U2 recipe from PTN, CapeBrewing, and others.
Since this is such a huge grain bill, I split it into two mash sessions. Here is the half recipe I used. (twice to make 4 gallons)
11.66# Pale Malt (2 row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00# Pale Malt (6 row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00# Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.50# Rice Hulls
0.75# Crystal Malt (30 SRM)
0.75# Munich Malt (10 SRM)
0.33# Aromatic Malt (26 SRM)
0.30# Biscuit Malt (23 SRM)
0.13# Victory Malt (25 SRM)
Grains were mashed, vorlaufed and sparged. Wort was collected into a keggle to boil down the volume. I almost forgot about adding the hops. (sleep deprivation)
Here is the full hop amounts I used when I boiled the wort down to the volume I needed
2.00 oz Nugget [13.00%] (60 min)
3.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Liberty [4.5%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50%] (60 min)
2.00 oz Liberty [4.30%] (15 min)
2.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00%] (1 min)
I am also adding 32 oz. jug of Maple Syrup, split into three additions. As well as additional yeast innoculations.
I made a starter brew to get the WLP099 Super High Gravity yeast started and going strong. This brew was my recipe for a Doulbe Dead Guy clone. I made a 2 gallon batch with a SG of 1.074 and let it ferment of 5 days. I racked off most of the beer into gallon jugs to finish. I then airated the heck out of the Utopia wort, and dumped it onto the yeast cake.
I will make another small starter (~1.075) for an additional WLP099 yeast innoculation, when I add the first Maple Syrup addition. When the WLP099 has run it's course, I will pitch some EC1118 yeast to finish.
Here is a picture of the boil process.
Here is a pitcure of the gravity reading.
I have never brewed something this big. As you can see, the hydrometer doesn't even have numbers that go that high. That is why I enlarged it to put lines so I could get a better idea of my SG. It looks to me like it's right there at 1.190. Holy Crap that's high.
I dumped the wort on the yeast cake past night, and I had a real good frementation already this morning. Bubbling about 3 - 4 per second.
The wort had a very interesting sweet (DUH !) coffee flavor. This should turn out good. I just have to monitor the fermentation, and add the Maple Syrup and yeast as needed. By my calculations, this should have a 1.200 SG with everything added in.
I thought I would share my HUGE brew day, and decided not to add this to the WWWOTTUC threads.
I will update as things progress.