Twelve-point (12-point), star-shaped gas-in ball-lock post - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Twelve-point (12-point), star-shaped gas-in ball-lock post

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
FLJohnson
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Apex, North Carolina, USA
Posts: 18


Can anyone confirm which brand of keg (Firestone vs. Cornelius) the 12-point, star-shaped posts are intended for? They look more like Firestone-style posts, but I have seen these put onto (perhaps forced onto) Cornelius kegs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Old_E
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Tampa, FL
Posts: 267
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJohnson View Post
Can anyone confirm which brand of keg (Firestone vs. Cornelius) the 12-point, star-shaped posts are intended for? They look more like Firestone-style posts, but I have seen these put onto (perhaps forced onto) Cornelius kegs.
I can't confirm either way, but I have one, and the thing is confusing. Still looking for a wrench that fits. I have to buy a new set at the home depot, as I seem to be missing any that fit any post on any of my new kegs. Awesome.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
RobBug
 
RobBug's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Bremerton, WA
Posts: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldE View Post
I can't confirm either way, but I have one, and the thing is confusing. Still looking for a wrench that fits. I have to buy a new set at the home depot, as I seem to be missing any that fit any post on any of my new kegs. Awesome.
I have a couple also. I purchased a 7/8" eight point long socket and it works fine. (I believe it was eight point - at work atm so can't verify)
__________________
My current brews

Bubblehead Brewing - Bangor, WA submariners' Brew Blogs
---
"The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs ;-)" - tjpfeister

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


A 7/8" box end wrench will fit as well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
ThreeRatBastards
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
St. Louis
Posts: 195
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts


Those can be either 11/16" or 7/8", most likely 7/8". This is the perfect tool to cover both bases:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1291137999066

I have one and it works great!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
DrawTap88
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,066
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


I got a combo wrench set...just for the 7/8 wrench which fits my posts perfectly.
__________________
Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
deezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
deezy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Jefferson, GA
Posts: 215
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


They are Cornelius Kegs; just have firestone looking posts. Just picked up two of these myself and was wondering the same. The gas post should be 12 point star looking

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
matts
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Lyons, Colorado
Posts: 93
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Most of my kegs have a standard 7/8 hex nut. But one has this 12-point star and I don't have anything that will fit on it. Where can I get a wrench to fit that?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DeafSmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Richardson, TX
Posts: 1,448
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts


All 4 of my Cornelius kegs have 12-star posts on the gas side, and both of my Firestone (Challenger VI) kegs have hexagonal posts with small grooves at each corner on the gas side.

For the star posts, I bought a 7/8 inch 12-point deep socket at Lowe's.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
matts
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Lyons, Colorado
Posts: 93
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
All 4 of my Cornelius kegs have 12-star posts on the gas side, and both of my Firestone (Challenger VI) kegs have hexagonal posts with small grooves at each corner on the gas side.

For the star posts, I bought a 7/8 inch 12-point deep socket at Lowe's.
Cool, my 7/8 inch deep socket is a 6-point. Never thought I would actually seek out a 12-point socket, those things mess up 6-point nuts and bolts over time.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ball Lock Corny Keg-Gas vs. Beer Post broadbill Bottling/Kegging 19 08-11-2012 04:29 PM
Ball lock gas post and disconnect question bommarkm Bottling/Kegging 2 10-11-2010 06:26 PM
Can you switch out Pin Lock Post with Ball Lock Posts? redneckbeagle Bottling/Kegging 5 11-18-2008 06:22 AM
star shaped corney ball lock posts Bytor1100 Bottling/Kegging 10 04-18-2008 08:34 PM
gas in ball lock, liquid out ball lock differnt? jblewis Bottling/Kegging 1 04-01-2007 03:05 AM


Forum Jump