Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Soda > Easy Ginger Ale

Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #41
moonmandave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Everyone is suggesting plastic bottles. Would it be possible if I double up the recipe and ferment it a day in a 1 gal glass carboy, then (glass) bottled it into glass, and took it right to the fridge? I love old-timey ginger ale ESPECIALLY Vernors (which is impossible to convince the commissary on base in Japan to stock)
Any advice for doing this in glass?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #42
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmandave
Everyone is suggesting plastic bottles. Would it be possible if I double up the recipe and ferment it a day in a 1 gal glass carboy, then (glass) bottled it into glass, and took it right to the fridge? I love old-timey ginger ale ESPECIALLY Vernors (which is impossible to convince the commissary on base in Japan to stock)
Any advice for doing this in glass?
This is tricky, But here's what I have been doing. I bottle in 1 L flip top bottles (glass) that had sparkling lemonade soda in them. But I also bottle a plastic bottle to test. When the plastic is firm, they all go in the fridge.

Sometimes, I just let it sit for 2 days and hope it's enough.

I wouldn't do it with any bottle that wasn't made for carbonated drinks (like i would not use juice, decorative, spirits, etc. bottles.) especially not if they are really old.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #43
Kirkwooder
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to pasteurize this in the bottle after it has fully carbed, in order to make it shelf safe. I have seen threads somewhere here about how to do that, but am wondering if the plastic bottles will hold up to the pressure of the carb and then the heat of pasteurization process. Any ideas?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #44
keezerj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I kegged this and put the ginger in a paint strainer bag and right in the keg. Taste great and no floaties. Thanks yoop for another great one

Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #45
Snow4phil
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

x2 on the pasteurizing idea. I was thinking about bottles, and using a few plastic ones as feelers for when pressure is good, then pasteurizing the glass bottles.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #46
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sub'd. Wife has been pushing me to make some "real" Root Beer and Ginger Ale since I started brewing about a year ago.

This looks easy and quick so that'll be nice. If I end up doing this I may double or triple it and try using 2 or 3 "regular" 12oz bottles and put the rest in plastic Polar Seltzer water bottles. If cider can be pasteurized I don't see why the same process can't be done for soda.

Looks like the easiest bottle pasteurizing method is in the dishwasher, do a search for dishwasher pasteurizing.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 AM   #47
ericbw
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14
sub'd. Wife has been pushing me to make some "real" Root Beer and Ginger Ale since I started brewing about a year ago.

This looks easy and quick so that'll be nice. If I end up doing this I may double or triple it and try using 2 or 3 "regular" 12oz bottles and put the rest in plastic Polar Seltzer water bottles. If cider can be pasteurized I don't see why the same process can't be done for soda.

Looks like the easiest bottle pasteurizing method is in the dishwasher, do a search for dishwasher pasteurizing.
I don't think you can pasteurize in plastic, though.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #48
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Right. Plastic would have to go in the fridge. For glass I don't mind throwing a case or so in the dishwasher. Standing over the stove doing 5 or 6 bottles for an hour or longer isn't fun.

I found the dishwasher pasteurizing post while looking at this post. I think my preference would be to do it in glass, pasteurize, and not have to take up the fridge space.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #49
Kirkwooder
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Do not try and heat pasturize in the PET bottles. They become way too pliable and stretch out under the pressure form inside.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #50
N2GN2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm carbing my first ginger beer attempt. Here is what I used for 2 liters:

4 ounces of fresh ginger juice to give that nice burn
1 lime
1/2 a lemon
2/3 cup blue agave

I'm carbing at 30 psi with the carbonator.

*Notes*

0.68 Lbs of ginger (USA) produced 8 ounces of ginger juice with a masticating juicer.

I'm will try my next batch with organic cane sugar.