Easy Ginger Ale - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Easy Ginger Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #31
Peevish
 
Peevish's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
York, PA
Posts: 24
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


So I tried this recipe the other day, as described. Tastes ok, but it has a offputting eggy smell, I guess it classes as a sulfur smell - not eye-wateringly strong, but enough to affect the tasting experience.

I didn't have any 'brewing' yeast on hand, so added regular red star active dry yeast (bakery aisle) in the quantity given in the recipe.

I'm presuming this yeast choice is the culprit? Is this the case, or am I overlooking something else? I'm keen to get this right, as ginger ale is always popular in my house.

What is the best yeast to use for this? I've seen people have used champagne yeast so will try this next when I can get to my lhbs.
__________________
Primary: Weizenbier (extract)
Primary 2: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Pale Ale (Partial Boil)
Drinking: Nothing yet!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 AM   #32
Unibrow
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 446
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevish View Post
So I tried this recipe the other day, as described. Tastes ok, but it has a offputting eggy smell, I guess it classes as a sulfur smell - not eye-wateringly strong, but enough to affect the tasting experience.

I didn't have any 'brewing' yeast on hand, so added regular red star active dry yeast (bakery aisle) in the quantity given in the recipe.

I'm presuming this yeast choice is the culprit? Is this the case, or am I overlooking something else? I'm keen to get this right, as ginger ale is always popular in my house.

What is the best yeast to use for this? I've seen people have used champagne yeast so will try this next when I can get to my lhbs.
I also used Red Star bread yeast, and mine turned out very good! I tried an experiment making just seltzer water, and it had that eggy quality you've referenced. I'm guessing you used too much yeast...or not enough sugar. That's what I would guess because the stated amounts in the recipe worked out good for me.
__________________
I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #33
Peevish
 
Peevish's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
York, PA
Posts: 24
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unibrow

I also used Red Star bread yeast, and mine turned out very good! I tried an experiment making just seltzer water, and it had that eggy quality you've referenced. I'm guessing you used too much yeast...or not enough sugar. That's what I would guess because the stated amounts in the recipe worked out good for me.
Hmmm that's interesting - so.probably not the yeast at fault then. My scales are pretty crappy, so it could well be the sugar. Thanks for the input, really appreciate it :mug
__________________
Primary: Weizenbier (extract)
Primary 2: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Pale Ale (Partial Boil)
Drinking: Nothing yet!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #34
Nubster
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 50
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Could you use EZ-cap bottles or PET bottles? That way you could de-pressurize them from time to time in the fridge. Maybe carbonate in a large 2L or 3L bottle then transfer to smaller bottles. I am interested in this cause my brother LOVES ginger ale but most of the commercial stuff sux and this would be a great Christmas present. Individual bottles would be cooler though than a 2L.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #35
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,762
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Could you use EX-cap bottles or PET bottles? That way you could de-pressurize them from time to time in the fridge. Maybe carbonate in a large 2L or 3L bottle then transfer to smaller bottles. I am interested in this cause my brother LOVES ginger ale but most of the commercial stuff sux and this would be a great Christmas present. Individual bottles would be cooler though than a 2L.
Any plastic soda bottles (any size) will do.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #36
cheesecake
 
cheesecake's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Palatine il
Posts: 1,084
Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts


Just made 2 2l bottles of this......I can't wait to try it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #37
cheesecake
 
cheesecake's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Palatine il
Posts: 1,084
Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts


Only problem with this is it disappears way to fast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #38
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,762
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
Only problem with this is it disappears way to fast.
I agree! I'm not much of a soda drinker at all (haven't bought a commercial soda in YEARS) but I can suck a 2l of this down in a day or two!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #39
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Channel66's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
, Maine
Posts: 2,838
Liked 1050 Times on 683 Posts


Just made 2 bottles excited to try this. Thanks for the recipe!
__________________
Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire. David Rains Wallace

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #40
JABBY
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


My grandmother gave me this same recipe, she also told me about zesting some fruit. She told me use some orange zest along with some juice and you can get an orange soda. Glad that this is already up so I do not have to type it all out.
__________________
"Make sure that the beer four pints a week goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump