Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Good results with S-04 in a barleywine

Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Good results with S-04 in a barleywine

Before using S-04 in my barleywine, I read about people having issues with attenuation and alcohol tolerance with that strain, or at least warning against that strain for those reasons.

My BW started at 1.120, 6 days later the krausen fell, and gravity was at 1.022, which is about 81% apparent attenuation. No rousing/special techniques necessary. Hydro sample tastes pretty good. Nice fruitiness with no off-flavors or hot alcohol/solvents.

Started fermentation at 55*, rose to 66* by day 6.

If anyone cares, I can post mash schedule.

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
greenbirds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seems like great attenuation for that strain. What was your grain bill and mash temp? And how many packets did you pitch / wort volume. Also do you whirlpool/remove break material?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Nateo
Recipes 

Grist was 100% pale malt.

Hochkurz decoction mash, dough-in @ 122*, 146* for 45min, and 158* for 30min.
Batch size was 12L/3.2g. "Starter" was the yeast cake from a 12L batch of Best Bitter.

I used the same mash schedule and pitching techniques I use on my big Belgians. I usually get 85-87% with 3787 at 75*+, so I was surprised to get nearly the same attenuation with lower temps and a strain most people consider a poor attenuator with low alcohol tolerance.

I try to whirlpool but it's not super effective for my small batches. I never seem to get a good cone like I do for larger batches.

I guess it shows that if handled properly, yeast can operate pretty far out of their "range." I don't think S-04 is most people's first choice for a 13% ABV brew, but it turned out pretty well for me.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Nateo
Recipes 

Transfered the beer to secondary with some Hungarian oak cubes. Gravity had dropped to 1.020. Chilled and sampled some. Very thick mouthfeel, with a nicely dry finish. Reminds me of a dry-ish Riesling, only with hops.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
BeernuT100
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
Grist was 100% pale malt.

Hochkurz decoction mash, dough-in @ 122*, 146* for 45min, and 158* for 30min.
Batch size was 12L/3.2g. "Starter" was the yeast cake from a 12L batch of Best Bitter.
It helped that you used a previous cake.

Quote:
I used the same mash schedule and pitching techniques I use on my big Belgians. I usually get 85-87% with 3787 at 75*+, so I was surprised to get nearly the same attenuation with lower temps and a strain most people consider a poor attenuator with low alcohol tolerance.
It's not that its a bad attenuator, I believe its rated for about 73-75%. It's just hit or miss with it's alcohol tolerance.

Quote:
Transfered the beer to secondary with some Hungarian oak cubes. Gravity had dropped to 1.020. Chilled and sampled some. Very thick mouthfeel, with a nicely dry finish. Reminds me of a dry-ish Riesling, only with hops.

Grats on your results. Sounds like it's gonna be a tasty treat!~

Old 02-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Nateo
Recipes 

Took a gravity reading again, looks like it'll stay at 1.020. The Hungarian cubes taste interesting. The beer has a toasted almond flavor that I wasn't expecting. The flavors are rounding nicely, but it'll be a while until it's "great."