Black Friday - Why? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Black Friday - Why?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 9078 Times on 7226 Posts

Who the fvck goes shopping at midnight, 3am, 5am, whatever.....

In order to get $10 off something that's $30 overpriced in the first place? And is a crappy product to begin with?

Or it's a product that's so "rare" that people feel the fvcking need to have it just to have it?

No thanks. I'll sit at home with my hangover and watch some college football and eat leftovers.

Have fun out there you worthless fvckers.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
HItransplant
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Portlandia
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

its pretty disturbing to watch people at those sales...

animals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 11-26-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
gicts
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Kentucky
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's a way to get the women out of the house for half of the day, then have them fast asleep by 4PM . Genius if you ask me.....as long as they don't spend your $

I don't imagine it lasting too long seeing how the internet sales are making more sense. For example, Amazon is matching many of the deals.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

The day after Thanksgiving was the traditional first big shopping day of the Christmas season. Stores would have their big sale start that day. Well, with all stores opening at about the same time the shoppers were split. If a store opened before the others, people would go there first. Our current situation is the result of stores one-upsmanship. One would open at 8am instead of 9. So another would open at 7. So and and so on until the doors are opening at 4am.

What gets me is stores that are open 24 hours a day do this, so they close for a half hour or so, throw everyone out, roll out the doorbuster specials and then let everyone back in.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

We are nearly guaranteed to wake up to the news that someone was trampled to death by a bunch of idiots racing to be the first to own the latest fad toy. All weekend, the media will sensationalize the shopping frenzy and debate whether stores have a moral obligation to prevent idiocy.

Sometime around noon tomorrow, I'll realize that I need to make a run to the store for something simple but necessary for my latest project (or lunch). I'll weigh the options, likely decide to brave the crowds, then wish I hadn't. I despise Black Friday.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
kjung

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Chicago Area
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I had to run to the store yesterday after I put my bird in the smoker because I forgot to pick up spuds. Fortunately we have a 24-hr. Meijer by us, kind of like a Super Wally-World or Super Target (they carry EVERYTHING) and they already had people lined up for today's sales...at 5:AM!!!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
kjung

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Chicago Area
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
We are nearly guaranteed to wake up to the news that someone was trampled to death by a bunch of idiots racing to be the first to own the latest fad toy. All weekend, the media will sensationalize the shopping frenzy and debate whether stores have a moral obligation to prevent idiocy.

Sometime around noon tomorrow, I'll realize that I need to make a run to the store for something simple but necessary for my latest project (or lunch). I'll weigh the options, likely decide to brave the crowds, then wish I hadn't. I despise Black Friday.
I used to live in a town that had one of the only Wally-Worlds in Chicago's western 'burbs, and every year there was some kind of police action on Black Friday. One year there was a big fight in the parking lot, because one idiot didn't like the fact that another idiot was LOOKING AT his g/f, and later the same day, it was the polar opposite, two WOMEN fighting over one's b/f eyeing the other. The next year, someone got shot over a parking space, and then the third year someone was trampled to death when the doors opened.
Needless to say, I avoided THAT store year-round!

I AM going to have a few chuckles at my son's expense though, when he comes over tonite. He has his first real job... at Best Buy...working a 10 hr. shift today!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 608 Times on 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
All weekend, the media will sensationalize the shopping frenzy and debate whether stores have a moral obligation to prevent idiocy.

Prevent it? Hell, they cause it!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts

Hell, I love it!! Wife and kids outta the house all day and I'm home by myself.....+she gets most of the shopping done while I sit at home and brew, order out pizza and get drunk....

Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7026 Times on 4160 Posts

I've always wondered why much of world looks at other people and, because they are different, call them "worthless fvckers". Honestly, I do wonder that.