Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hot peppers ale

Old 11-26-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
DrAtomik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hot peppers ale

A friend of mine asked me to brew a hot peppers ale for his birthday which is in late february. I never put peppers in my beers and would like to try that. Any idea? I want something good and drinkable. I thought I could use rye or maybe smoked malt for this brew but Im open to any idea. I have Piquin Chili (or Bird's eye chili) in stock but can get anything from there http://www.epicesdecru.com/en/store.php?cid=3

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 4

DrAtomik, Funny thing you mention that... A few months ago I brewed a batch of Mr. Beer's Fire in the Hole Chile beer.
http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...ole_Chile_Beer
For the 2 gal batch, I added 2/3 oz. of dried Panca and 2/3 oz. of dried smoked serrano chiles. It sat in the primary for a month and should be sitting in the bottles for another two weeks (1 month bottle time). I tried one last night and it was great. Not too much heat and a subtle smokey flavor.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:25 AM   #3
HH60gunner
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did a chocolate chipotle porter some time back. I used about 4 smoked chipotle peppers (the dried from the store kind), and about 3 anchos (again dried from the store). I boiled them a little bit which I think may have taken away from the heat. I racked the beer onto the peppers and tea that I boiled them in and let the beer sit on them for about 5 days. When all was said and done the flavors of the chilis could be tasted but none of the heat. If I had to do it again and wanted heat I would probably add more peppers and do it directly not boiling first, and probably for a longer period of time taking a sample every so often until the desired heat is reached. Even though it didn't have heat the flavor of the beer was amazing. The chipotles really gave the beer a smoky flavor.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I can't speak highly enough about this recipe
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/jala...am-ale-131294/

Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 44

<3 for ancho/roasted serrano or ancho/habanero

Old 11-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You might also want to check out this thread
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/5x-pepper-beers-172082/ pete

Old 11-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Bird, chiltepin, and pequin peppers are quite hot. You may get a little more heat than needed unless the recipe calls for a small amount of peppers.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
lizardeye
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I made a Jalapeno hefeweizen a couple of years ago that turned out really well. I used about 10 jalapenos, roasted, skinned, and deseeded with the inner membrane removed. Very subtle heat and a great roasted pepper flavor. I put them into the secondary for a couple of weeks. The flavor was subtle enough that it was tough to figure out what it was, but you knew there was something there other than just the beer!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did a Sriracha Pepper beer a few months ago. All I did was brew a light base beer 10lbs 2-row, 1 lb of Cara pils, 2 oz Cascade (1oz@60 1oz@5) and US-05. Then I put 2 Table spoons of Sriracha Sauce in Primary and another 2 Table Spoons in Secondary.

Kegged and served @ Emerald Coast Beer Festival... It was a hit! Not to hot, but had a good tang and some smokeyness from the Sauce.

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 11-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #10
DrAtomik
Recipes 

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your suggestions. So far I'm tempted by the jalapeno cream ale gicts suggested. However i'd like to know if anyone has ever brew a rye beer with chilis because theres a microbrewery over here called Dieu Du Ciel who brews a rye beer with black peppercorns and I love it. The rye seems to marry very well with the taste of the peppercorns and I wonder if I could get good results with chilis as well.

Here's the link for the Dieu Du Ciel's brew if anyone is interessed.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dieu-du...-epices/15138/