Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Can I rebottle Mead or Wine?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
billc68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can I rebottle Mead or Wine?

I made some JAOM a while back and got some sediment in my bottles, I want to give some away for Xmas, can I re-bottle it without risking oxidation?

I have access to CO2 and could put some in the bottles first.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
brewdogskip
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Although I have never tried it, I'm guessing that siphoning each bottle is going to be a hassle and you would risk more than you'd gain. Maybe it would be easier to make a nice label describing the mead and how to pour correctly.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc68 View Post
I made some JAOM a while back and got some sediment in my bottles, I want to give some away for Xmas, can I re-bottle it without risking oxidation?

I have access to CO2 and could put some in the bottles first.
I have rebottled mead before not because of sediment problems but because fire ants got to my mead and were chewing out the corks. They only ruined a few bottles, I was able to save the remaining ones by rebottling. Made a big mess though, all sorts of nasty insects showed up to their party! I have not experienced any oxidation with my re-bottles. Oxidation doesn't happen overnight, so if you are planning on gifting and drinking it during the holidays, why not?

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am only planning to give out a couple of bottles but I can't guarantee when it will be drunk.

On a side not JAOM is very tasty with scotch. I tried this as the mead reminded me of Drambuie.