National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > has anyone tried the brewers best oatmeal stout kit

Old 12-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #41
daytonlawvol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ive ordered my supplies for a yeast starter as well, should be in in 2 or 3 days.

My gravity right now is stuck at 1.032, whats yours at?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #42
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If you can, try to let it go so it has at least 3 weeks in the primary. It will give the yeast a chance at cleaning up after themselves.

Edit: Disregard, it appears you were just updating the results of your previous restart attempt. I hope you get a few more points out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #43
daytonlawvol
Recipes 

Im also going to gently stir the bottom of the carboy tonight, try and get the yeast back in suspension, then I'll try the yeast starter later this week. I'll keep this updated.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #44
slicksmix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonlawvol View Post
Ive ordered my supplies for a yeast starter as well, should be in in 2 or 3 days.

My gravity right now is stuck at 1.032, whats yours at?
My first batches Og was a little high. It stuck at1036. My second Og was spot on and its stuck at 1032.

If u find something that's works please let us know

Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #45
bstanf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonlawvol View Post
Im also going to gently stir the bottom of the carboy tonight, try and get the yeast back in suspension, then I'll try the yeast starter later this week. I'll keep this updated.
I also tried the swirling the carboy for about a week. I did it 3 or 4 times a day. I never got any more yeast activity.

My OG was stuck at 1.035. I haven't checked it since I added the yeast starter, but I am seeing activity, so I'm hoping it's going down. I probably won't have a chance to test a sample until this weekend to see by how much.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #46
slicksmix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanf View Post
I also tried the swirling the carboy for about a week. I did it 3 or 4 times a day. I never got any more yeast activity.

My OG was stuck at 1.035. I haven't checked it since I added the yeast starter, but I am seeing activity, so I'm hoping it's going down. I probably won't have a chance to test a sample until this weekend to see by how much.
I do the same thing, just give the carboy a few good twists, in my mind i think it helps move things around, and lets the yeast do its job all the better. but i could be dead wrong. Just so you know, i did see activity in mine as well, all the way up to when i bottled it. There was always a very tiny ring of bubbles around the top of the brew when it was in the secondary. The gravity never changed

I really believe there is something wrong with the recipe. Theres just too many people having the same problem to be "operator error" do you guys agree too?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #47
daytonlawvol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksmix View Post
I do the same thing, just give the carboy a few good twists, in my mind i think it helps move things around, and lets the yeast do its job all the better. but i could be dead wrong. Just so you know, i did see activity in mine as well, all the way up to when i bottled it. There was always a very tiny ring of bubbles around the top of the brew when it was in the secondary. The gravity never changed

I really believe there is something wrong with the recipe. Theres just too many people having the same problem to be "operator error" do you guys agree too?
I emailed brewers best about this and I got a quick response. Guy said the yeast purposefully cuts off quickly in order to preserve some sweetness in this oateal stout, but that at 1.032, it cut off too quick. Recommended a yeast starter to get it going again, which I will be doing later this week...and said he would talk to people at the company to try and see why this is happening.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #48
bpac
Recipes 

Sure enough, mine got stuck as well. I modded the recipe slightly by changing the yeast to an activator pack of wyeast 1098.

Same as everyone else, OG was good at 1.056, stuck SG at 1.030. I tasted it before i apparently oxidized the crap out of my beer trying to rouse the yeast (ugh, idiot), and it was super dry tasting. i wonder if that was the malodextrin.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #49
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Super dry at that FG would indicate to me that it is way over-carbed. If you bottled it when it was that high and primed it with the usual 5 ozs of sugar that often comes in those prepackaged kits, the yeast probably went a little bonkers and went on a feeding frenzy- creating too much carbonation.

Now if you aggressively stirred the wort to rouse the yeast, then yes you probably oxidized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #50
daytonlawvol
Recipes 

Update: Pitched a White Labs Irish Ale Yeast Starter last night in my batch that was stuck at 1.032. Started fermenting within an hour, airlock activity peaked at about 9-10 blips per minute, with a nice Krausen formed on the top. Checked it this morning, airlock activity has slowed, still nice Krausen on top. It looks like I should have dropped my gravity, not sure yet. Will keep updated,