Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Temperature control for 30g conicals?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Temperature control for 30g conicals?

Hey guys. Been a while since I posted, but I just moved into a new house and the new brewery is finally getting the attention it deserves.

I made this thread a while back: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/30g-...-build-153918/

Cliffs Notes:
- Using 30g plastic conicals and am looking for some ideas on how to control temps. They will likely be in my garage, so I might need some kind of heating solution for the winter as well.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
jevehn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'd say your two options are a heat controlled room build, or a water jacket.

Easiest: Room build. Window AC unit and small heater. Two stage temp controller.

Smallest footprint: Water jacket. Wrap 3/8" soft copper coils around the outside, then insulate well. Constantly circulate heated or cooled water through the coils with a small pump, and temp control the circulating water via an aquarium heater or water cooler, you should be able to hit your desired temp in the chamber.

PS: best avatar ever....

Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevehn View Post
PS: best avatar ever....
Wifey?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Not to be off topic but if you have a basement that stays in the low 60's year round is temp control necessary? Or does 15 + gallons of fermenting wort raise it's temp that cooler temps are needed?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
pnh2atl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I build a box big enough for my fermenter and I have a two stage temp controller (Love). I use a 5000 BTU AC unite to cool and a small space heater. Works great.

I used OSB and 2x material. I framed the exterior of the OSB sheet once it was cut to size with the 2x's then I filled in the field with EPS foam. I then trimmed the edges with 3" wide OBS which held the foam in place. Then I screwed the sides together to form the box. I also made a floor in the same way. I made a plug door that I hold in place with tabs that rotate out of the way. I foamed the corners and seams with great stuff. I've been very pleased with it. i can keep the temp within +/- 1 and normally tape the temp prob to the fermenter. I only wish I made it bigger.