Do you stabilize a beer for storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gicts

Reaction score
I've been busy with wine stuff, and happened to pull out a barleywine that I made this spring. It is in the secondary and aging with a little more head space than I am comfortable. I took a sample this evening and it has fermented out to just under 1.02. Not shabby seeing as I believe it is at 16% ABV (I was in the mood of go big or go home). It tastes strong, and the alcohol is HOT. I think it will be amazing in another half or full year.

My question- with the headspace, I would like to age the rest of it in a keg. Would it be recommended to add anything to prevent oxidizing, growing yuckies, or anything else? I recently got back in the wine side and am being bombarded by chemicals for long term storage.

Thoughts? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!

What would you top off a barleywine with? I'd hate to dilute it with water, or spend a ton on a commercial barleywine. Would a full bodied wine or a few bottles of a dark beer be ok?

What would you top off a barleywine with? I'd hate to dilute it with water, or spend a ton on a commercial barleywine. Would a full bodied wine or a few bottles of a dark beer be ok?

Top it off with CO2! Purge the keg with CO2 while it's still empty (i.e. pressurize it, pull the release valve, pressurize it, pull the release, etc.) then rack to the keg. After it's racked, repeat the first step of pressurizing and pulling the release a couple times, and you'll have a CO2 blanket on top of the beer that will prevent oxidation.

Hahaha fair enough. No one else would take any more steps? I'm not sure why I am so concerned about aging this, I guess it is my first beer I have intentionally aged.

Back