Old boil kettle with weldless fitting to boil Turkey? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Old boil kettle with weldless fitting to boil Turkey?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
HomeBrewFoSho
 
HomeBrewFoSho's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Western MA
Posts: 97
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



Does anyone know if the food grade weldless fitting rubber washers would be safe up to around 400degress where a turkey would be deep fried????It's a retired boil kettle that I'm thinking of using

Thanks,
Greg

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
BargainFittings's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Allen TX
Posts: 2,052
Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts


Greg,

Silicone o-rings will hold up to 450 F temps

Silicone gaskets will go up to 500 F

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
HomeBrewFoSho
 
HomeBrewFoSho's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Western MA
Posts: 97
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post
Greg,

Silicone o-rings will hold up to 450 F temps

Silicone gaskets will go up to 500 F
Awesome, thanks for the speedy response. Thanksgiving is going to be delicious!!!! Happy thanksgiving to all!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
BargainFittings's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Allen TX
Posts: 2,052
Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts


Be safe. Probably a good idea to shield the valve from direct flame.

Have a great holiday.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
theonetrueruss
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
theonetrueruss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Woodstock, GA
Posts: 859
Liked 50 Times on 36 Posts


stick to 325-350 F for turkey frying... the gasket will hold up fine at that temp.. higher temps than that push too close to the flash point.. i think its about 450 F.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
HomeBrewFoSho
 
HomeBrewFoSho's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Western MA
Posts: 97
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Just to let everyone know, the keggle worked great for turkey frying. It's a lot safer than the smaller pots that come with the kits. Plus it helps to have a large brewing cart with Natural Gas burners. I was a little worried at first because when the oil started to get to around 250' some small bubbles started to come out of the weldless fitting but it must have just been some air trapped in there. It was nice to drain the oil out of the keggle back into the containers for storage with the valve on the bottom too. I did take off the copper elbow that will be in my boil keggle , I wasn't sure what affect it would have and I don't want to safe the last bit of dirty oil anyways. I'm going to cut another keg and make another keggle and save this one just for turkey's and other fried stuff.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
craigers
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Germany
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewFoSho View Post
Just to let everyone know, the keggle worked great for turkey frying. It's a lot safer than the smaller pots that come with the kits. Plus it helps to have a large brewing cart with Natural Gas burners. I was a little worried at first because when the oil started to get to around 250' some small bubbles started to come out of the weldless fitting but it must have just been some air trapped in there. It was nice to drain the oil out of the keggle back into the containers for storage with the valve on the bottom too. I did take off the copper elbow that will be in my boil keggle , I wasn't sure what affect it would have and I don't want to safe the last bit of dirty oil anyways. I'm going to cut another keg and make another keggle and save this one just for turkey's and other fried stuff.
Quick question for you, as I'd like to follow in your foot-steps and use my keggle. What did you use for taking the turkey in and out of the oil? Also, how big of a turkey did you fry? Thanks!

Craig

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
HomeBrewFoSho
 
HomeBrewFoSho's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Western MA
Posts: 97
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by craigers View Post
Quick question for you, as I'd like to follow in your foot-steps and use my keggle. What did you use for taking the turkey in and out of the oil? Also, how big of a turkey did you fry? Thanks!

Craig
I need to have my HB talk notifications go to Gmail instead of my work email haha. Sorry to just get back to you. I actually already had the Bayou Classic Turkey frying kit. The kit comes with an aluminum stand that you stand the turkey up on and a hook with a handle to lower it down. I just like the keggle because it's a LOT safer then trying to fit I big bird in one of the smaller pots that come with those kits. I think I did an 18 pounder? Really you could fit even bigger no problem.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey Everybody - Look at my new Boil Kettle! John Beere Equipment/Sanitation 54 02-16-2014 11:09 PM
Boil kettle and boil off rate question jfkriege Equipment/Sanitation 4 12-11-2009 07:02 PM
Turkey fryer didn't boil water! Guinness Equipment/Sanitation 1 11-03-2009 10:12 PM
full boil - an electric version of a turkey frier? EdwardPaulsen Equipment/Sanitation 4 07-04-2009 03:08 PM


Forum Jump