Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottles in Toronto

Old 11-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

if you are heading down to buffalo for some christmas shopping "let's do wine" on transit road has some nittany ale bottles for $7/case. Blue, with a painted paw on them, but cheap. http://www.letsdowine.com/coblbebo.html

Old 11-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1819 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 4502

Ask bartenders for their empties, often they'll let you have them for free. The catch is: They don't rinse 'em & you'll have a harder time getting them clean. Also you might get some twist-off bottles too, they don't work well with wing cappers. Regards, GF.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer604 View Post
WOW Lucky you, here in BC they charge $2- 3.50 a piece!!!
So wait...<gets out calculator>...call it three bucks to make the math easier, $3.00 X 24 bottles in a case = $72 for a case of empties??

Is the Canadian dollar that bad? A case of good craft or micro in the states goes for $35 - $40, or less that $2/bottle. And this is with beer in 'em.

Think global, drink local.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
johnnyspade
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
So wait...<gets out calculator>...call it three bucks to make the math easier, $3.00 X 24 bottles in a case = $72 for a case of empties??

Is the Canadian dollar that bad? A case of good craft or micro in the states goes for $35 - $40, or less that $2/bottle. And this is with beer in 'em.
The Canadian dollar is about on par with the US these days, but I don't imagine that has much to do with the consumer cost of beer anyway. Perhaps beer is cheaper in the US because of the means of distribution, and maybe how much tax we pay on ours? I'm not sure really.

$3 for an empty bottle sounds criminal. The only reason I can think of for why we pay $1 for the same product is because they make them closer to the east Coast. I pay about $4 for a 650ml bottle of Propeller, which is a beer I like. There has to be a brewery in the West making a similar product for similar money.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Beer604
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post

In my area home brewing is just picking up. I walked into a brew supply store and asked how much for swing top bottles. The guy told me it is $3.50 a piece.
I thanked him for his time, made a swift move to the door and started to buy Grolsch. The 4 pack cost me around $12 here.

Yes, the beer is much cheaper to in the US. It is actually cheaper to brew in Canada then buying it. To brew 5 Gal is around $30 to buy a 24x355 mL crappy Kokanee is $41.79!!!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #16
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Well, swing tops are a different issue anyway. I use regular bottles and cap them - it's tedious and if I had any sense, I would get all swing tops, just because I value my time.

Think global, drink local.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
OldMalt
Recipes 

Default Where can I find these 90 cent bottles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyspade View Post
What do you pay for bottles in Toronto, if you buy them new? Here in Nova Scotia, the brown 650ml bottles are about 90 cents.
Hi there Johnnyspade, I'm home visiting folks in Halifax and visiting friends in CB too. I remembered your post and was hoping to pickup some of the EZ cap bottles (swing tops) at the price you mentioned. Where did you buy yours?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
johnnyspade
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I buy all my bottles at the Noble Grape. They have a few locations scattered around the Halifax area. You should be able to find them all here:

http://www.noblegrape.ca/locations.asp

A dozen of those 650ml brown bottles are about a buck a piece but I'm not sure about the swing tops. I have a few dozen brown 500ml swing tops that I bought there a few years ago but I don't recall how much they were. They sell them in one litre as well but I imagine those are expensive.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
gclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

sometimes you can go to the beer store and buy back some bottles, that's how the wife got me some grolsch bottles. It depends on the person at the counter though.

You bring 1 purple crayon to class and they stick you on the short bus!! - Theresa Stanton