BrewR for Android

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pivovar

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am happy to announce that a new *stable* version of BrewR for Android has been published to the Android Market.

BrewR is an easy to use beer recipe creator app for your Android phone or tablet that also includes a built-in Brew Day Timer.

FEATURES

* Brew Day Timer can run in the background and will pop up and sound the alert when it's time to take action (e.g. add hops)
* Time remaining in the boil is shown in the expanded notification bar
* Hops are listed in the timer and get highlighted when they should go into the boil
* Complete (and fully editable) ingredient database
* Supports US or Metric units
* File format compatible with QBrew v0.4.1 (QBrew is a free home-brewing software for PC and Linux)
* All recipes are stored on the SD card as .qbrew files for easy import and export
* Supports "share recipe" feature for easy sharing with friends

SCREENSHOTS

BrewR-Main.png
BrewR-Recipe-3.png
BrewR-Timer-CB.png

More screenshots can be found at this URL:
http://feedr.podzone.net/brewr/

Please download the free DEMO version from Android Market and try it out if you have an Android phone. A paid version is also available if you like the app enough to support its further development.

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Peter,
BrewR & FeedR Developer

d/l'ing demo now

thx

*edit
On a Droid X when I start the timer the alarm immediately goes off. If I start it with the volume turned all the way down, then turn it back up once the alarm starts it stays off.

Hey Guys,

I am happy to announce that a new *stable* version of BrewR for Android has been published to the Android Market....

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Peter,
BrewR & FeedR Developer

Downloaded and put in a quick (simple) recipe. I would suggest you add a "pause" on the brew timer, it's either start or stop. After stop it resets to the original start time (90 min in my case).

When I drop my 50' of IC around 15 I pause my timer until I can get boiling again, usually a few minutes.

Looks good so far. :mug:

On a Droid X when I start the timer the alarm immediately goes off. If I start it with the volume turned all the way down, then turn it back up once the alarm starts it stays off.

The alarm should go off (for 10 seconds or less) whenever there is a hop to be added. If your boil time is 60 minutes and you have a bittering hop addition at the same time it will go off immediately as you press "Start" and will highlight the 60 min hop addition(s) for the next 1 min.

Downloaded and put in a quick (simple) recipe. I would suggest you add a "pause" on the brew timer, it's either start or stop. After stop it resets to the original start time (90 min in my case).

When I drop my 50' of IC around 15 I pause my timer until I can get boiling again, usually a few minutes.

Looks good so far. :mug:

Good input, thanks!

The alarm should go off (for 10 seconds or less) whenever there is a hop to be added. If your boil time is 60 minutes and you have a bittering hop addition at the same time it will go off immediately as you press "Start" and will highlight the 60 min hop addition(s) for the next 1 min.

gotcha

Darn, I wish I knew it was only a 20 day trial. I would have waited to download it...

Darn, I wish I knew it was only a 20 day trial. I would have waited to download it...

The current demo will expire on 12/15 regardless of when you installed it. Just look for another demo when you have time to give it a try.

Could you add UK Pale Chocolate (225L) in the next update? I'm just adjusting the L of the Chocolate right now but it would be nice to have it show up as pale chocolate malt.

EDIT: Just saw where you can add ingredients in the premium version.

Could you add UK Pale Chocolate (225L) in the next update? I'm just adjusting the L of the Chocolate right now but it would be nice to have it show up as pale chocolate malt.

EDIT: Just saw where you can add ingredients in the premium version.

Correct. The non-demo version has the database editor unlocked. You can add/remove/modify any ingredient:

BrewR-Database-Editor.png

I tried downloading the demo version from the Android Market. I installed the application on my Sonyericsson X10 updated to 2.1. Unfortunately, the application does not work properly, does not save the recipes in the right way (the amount allocated to the ingredients are always zero).

SWEET! hey, would this work on my Ipod touch 3rd gen?

Check out iBrewMaster for Ipod/Iphone/Ipad, I've played around with quite a few and for the money it works really well. I don't have a Mac, however, so that is a primary reason for not getting Beer Alchemy Touch, but it appears to do most of the same stuff. Plus, I email the developer regularly and he's very quick to add/change features at request typically. Best iOS brewing app I've used so far.

I tried downloading the demo version from the Android Market. I installed the application on my Sonyericsson X10 updated to 2.1. Unfortunately, the application does not work properly, does not save the recipes in the right way (the amount allocated to the ingredients are always zero).

There was a bug with non-US locales using a comma for decimal point. It is now fixed in version 1.11.

The app is now FREE. Please give it a try!

Latest version 1.12 adds support for no-boil fermentable additions.

Been using this app for my first three brews. I absolutely love it. I am sure beersmith is better, but as a beginner it is nice and simple. I love being able to create my own recipes during downtime at work and such. Also, the brew day timer is awesome. I would be all over the place without it. Recommend!

Just did my first brew in a long time... I was never great at documenting my recipes and taking notes, but this makes it real easy and convenient. Great app. The auto calculation is invaluable to a novice/intermediate brewer like myself, I never really paid close attention to some of this data, and I think it'll help me become a better brewer. I can continue to be a bit lazy and still keep track of this info.

Couple suggestions... in the event that a brewer reuses the same recipe, it might be handy to create different batch notes for each iteration of the same recipe. If you took that a step further, it would be nice to store more detailed output of your batch, such as Date brewed, date racked, date bottled, actual OG, actual FG, etc... I know, it all takes time.

All in all, great app, nice job :mug:

Doing my 3rd beer soon. An IPA designed with BrewR. I love playing around with this app. Super simple for a new guy like me. Could use some updating but at least it lets me enter what it doesn't have (Citra, Sorachi, et al). Free and no ads. Thank you.

Arggg, the app has stopped working (for me at least). What'll I do? How will I waste my time now?

I've reset the phone but keep getting this after the app start up screen:

Error
The remote server sent an unknown response. This could be a result of the forum software being out of date or having a conflict.

Arggg, the app has stopped working (for me at least). What'll I do? How will I waste my time now?

I've reset the phone but keep getting this after the app start up screen:

Error
The remote server sent an unknown response. This could be a result of the forum software being out of date or having a conflict.

Which app has stopped working? BrewR or the forum app?

I've been using it, and like it :)

Found it just by happenstance, was searching for some program my iphone-toting buddy uses. Been using it since I went AG.

There was one thing I got kinda frustrated with it missing, but it escapes me now. I'll post back if/when I remember.

Good job to the creator of the proggie :)

Hey everyone, how's it going?

I have been experiencing some difficulties with the BrewR App on my android phone. Just did an update and have the newest version available. I've been having the problem of the OG, IBU's, SRM and FG's always showing in RED, indicating that the beers stylistic parameters are not correct. It does this for all my original recipes and the store bought brew kits from Northern Brewer I have punched in. At first I thought maybe I was entering the info in wrong, so that's why I entered about 4 or 5 different pre-made kits from Northern Brewer to see if it was error or the apps. The ABV is always way too low or way too high, never on mark. For instance, the Irish Red Ale I brew from time to time is usually always on mark, right around 4.92% when I do a hydro reading but when I type the recipe info into the app, it always says the ABV will be 2.84%. I find this extremely strange. I am entering the recipes in exactly as they are printed with the kits and as well as with my original recipes that have turned out great besides this app telling me the recipe is wrong. Maybe I am doing something wrong that I am not aware of? Any help or enlightenment on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and cheers! :mug:

Have you looked at batch size / boil volume values? Do they correctly reflect what you are making? Also make sure you have the correct recipe type selected. E.g. Extract if you are making an extract kit.

Yes, I make sure I select the right batch size and boil volume values. I also have selected the correct recipe type and selected Extract, Partial Mash, etc. I think I may try uninstalling the app and downloading it again. Maybe there is a glitch with my particular phone?

Please post (or email me to feedr.dev at gmail dot com) the recipe or few that you're having a problem with.

By the way you can use the "Share" option in the app (via Cloud sync or just as plain text if you haven't been using the sync).

I uninstalled the app and re-downloaded it and is still having the same problem. Anyway, here is the recipe that is giving me the most problems. This is Northern Brewer's Irish Red Ale. It comes out great each time I brew, just doesn't add up correctly on the app.

Irish Red Ale, extract with specialty grains. 5 gallon batch.
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.5 lbs Belgian Caramel Pils
- 0.25 lbs Briess Special Roast
- 0.125 lbs Belgian Biscuit
- 0.125 lbs English Chocolate Malt
FERMENTABLES
- 6 lbs Gold Malt syrup
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz Willamette (60 min)
- 1 oz US Goldings (30 min)
YEAST
- Dry Yeast Alternative: Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. Optimum
temp: 57°-70° F.

60 minute boil with 2.5 gallon boil volume.

I get perfect Irish Red Ale style match when I enter this recipe in BrewR as follows:

Irish Red Ale

Recipe specifics:

Style: Irish Red Ale
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 2.5 gal
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 19.3
Color (SRM): 12.1
ABV: 4.7%

Grain/Sugars:

6.00 lb Light LME, 85.7%
0.50 lb CaraPils, 7.1%
0.25 lb Special Roast, 3.6%
0.12 lb Biscuit (Belgian), 1.8%
0.12 lb Chocolate Malt (British), 1.8%

Hops:

1.00 oz Willamette (AA 4.5%, Pellet) 60 min, 10.3 IBU
1.00 oz Kent Golding (AA 5.1%, Pellet) 30 min, 9.0 IBU

I suspect you might be selecting a wrong ingredient for the base malt "Gold Malt syrup". This is what's commonly known as Liquid Malt Extract (LME) with "golden" color (SRM is between 4-5) and should be selected accordingly.

Ok thanks. I'll try switching that over and see if it helps. When I type it in it gives me an ABV of 2.7%.

I did punch in my Dunkelweizen recipe earlier and it came out perfect on the app.

Thanks for the help

Ok, that was the problem. The Gold Malt Syrup was switched to Light LME on all the recipes that have that in it's grain bill and everything is perfect now. It was all user error. LOL :eek: I will be more patient next time and try other options.

Thanks for the help. :mug:

Hi, when I use this app it does not have any calculations for the yeast used, whatever is entered it always has the same FG result and ABV. Is this only in the demo version or is it the same in the full version?

Thanks

Back