Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lost hella beer siphoning..

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
HoppyWeasel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Lost hella beer siphoning..

So I had my I.P.A sitting in primary for 2 weeks in a 6 gallon glass carboy and then I switched it to a 5 gallon carboy. I lost so much liquid siphoning it... there was so much hop sediment/yeast that I just left all that thick hoppy liquid behind in the original... now I have maybe 3.5 gallons beer in a 5 gallon container.. I am going to dry hop with cascades as soon as fed ex gets here... Just want to know if all that empty head space is bad for the time being??? http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...g?t=1290533828

I hear just leave it in primary for 2 weeks or even longer... then I hear if you leave your basically fermented beer sitting on the yeast it will impart a yeasty flavor to the beer. I'm putting it in secondary to clarify and dry hop. Some one please tell me everything is gunna be allright and that my beer will be safe.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyWeasel View Post
So I had my I.P.A sitting in primary for 2 weeks in a 6 gallon glass carboy and then I switched it to a 5 gallon carboy. I lost so much liquid siphoning it... there was so much hop sediment/yeast that I just left all that thick hoppy liquid behind in the original... now I have maybe 3.5 gallons beer in a 5 gallon container.. I am going to dry hop with cascades as soon as fed ex gets here... Just want to know if all that empty head space is bad for the time being??? http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...g?t=1290533828

I hear just leave it in primary for 2 weeks or even longer... then I hear if you leave your basically fermented beer sitting on the yeast it will impart a yeasty flavor to the beer. I'm putting it in secondary to clarify and dry hop. Some one please tell me everything is gunna be allright and that my beer will be safe.
The consensus is that leaving it on the Yeast for a long LONG time may impart flavors. We're talking months here. Also, I've read numerous times now, that the extra head space isn't anything to worry about.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Usually, there is enough dissolved CO2 in the beer when you rack it that gets released with the movement that will help push a lot of the O2 out of the headspace. I suggest that in the future, you either cold crash or use gelatin before racking, or dry hop in primary then cold crash and/or use gelatin. The yeast/hop/trub will compact significantly and allow for more beer to be claimed.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Why are you wasting half of your beer? Let it sit a couple hours and it should settle out further. Try again. If that fails, go ahead and just pour it through a kitchen strainer as gently as you can. There's no reason to waste that much beer. Try not to aerate the beer but it's not a reason to dump it. It'll be FINE. Most of the rules for beer brewing are suggestions/improvements and not hard rules. You also could have dry hopped in your primary for the last week before bottling/kegging.

Next time, pour the wort through a strainer when you transfer from kettle to fermenter and before pitching the yeast. Don't bother racking to a secondary, it's really really not necessary. Let it sit one month in primary, then bottle or keg. Gelatin is also not nessecary imo. If you strain out hops, and wait a month in primary, all the yeast will be a near-solid cake at the bottom of the fermenter. There is really no other sediment/trub to cause problems.

Many books talk about racking to secondary but all the experts here will tell you there are NO WORRIES letting it sit a month or longer.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

This is why I use bright tanks.. I just cram the cane right down into the muck and I get as much of the beer as possible. Granted I also get some trub ( way less than you would think) And when I rack to the bottling bucket I leave all of it in the bright tank. I generally lose very little beer.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you leave your beer for at least 4 weeks, the yeast cake compacts down really tight. I usually leave about 4 ounces of beer behind when I rack.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #7
HoppyWeasel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post
Why are you wasting half of your beer? Let it sit a couple hours and it should settle out further. Try again. If that fails, go ahead and just pour it through a kitchen strainer as gently as you can. There's no reason to waste that much beer. Try not to aerate the beer but it's not a reason to dump it. It'll be FINE. Most of the rules for beer brewing are suggestions/improvements and not hard rules. You also could have dry hopped in your primary for the last week before bottling/kegging.

Next time, pour the wort through a strainer when you transfer from kettle to fermenter and before pitching the yeast. Don't bother racking to a secondary, it's really really not necessary. Let it sit one month in primary, then bottle or keg. Gelatin is also not nessecary imo. If you strain out hops, and wait a month in primary, all the yeast will be a near-solid cake at the bottom of the fermenter. There is really no other sediment/trub to cause problems.

Many books talk about racking to secondary but all the experts here will tell you there are NO WORRIES letting it sit a month or longer.
Next time Im just going to strain the hops I guess... that just seems like wasted flavor to me by straining it out.. then just ferment it for 3 weeks in primary and skip secondary.. Then dry hop it the last week... then bottle it. Thanks for the ideas
MikeRoBrew1 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #8
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoBrew1 View Post

Awesome post. I use bucket swith lids. It works fine. If you are using a carboy you should be fine.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyWeasel View Post
Next time Im just going to strain the hops I guess... that just seems like wasted flavor to me by straining it out.. then just ferment it for 3 weeks in primary and skip secondary.. Then dry hop it the last week... then bottle it. Thanks for the ideas
Most of the boiled hop pellets have already gotten the flavor out of them. If they've been boiled any length of time, there's not much in the way of aroma left in 'em, and the bitterness won't come out just sitting on the bottom of your bucket.

+1 on a strainer after, or a hop-sock (hop bag for me) during the boil

+1 on a bright tank (especially if you are a skilled racker, or can "bright" under CO2)

Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have any problem with racking off the trub when it comes to bottling. I usually ferment at the low end of the range just because my kitchen gets cold at night. After 3 weeks in primary, my yeast cake is compacted and not going anywhere. I can rack to the point where I have the fermenting bucket at a 45 degree angle and the yeast just sits there.

+1 to long primary.