Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > buttery-smelling foamy wort (no yeast yet)

Old 11-23-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default buttery-smelling foamy wort (no yeast yet)

Hey all,

Back with a odd paranoid question. Details following the question.

My cooled wort after 36 hours, as I was pitching the yeast, had a buttery sweet smell. It also foamed like made (white thick good-head foam) when I stirred it. I have never really noticed an odor from my wort before, so was concerned. Bucket was sanitized, was poured in hot and cooled in there, kept sealed up while it was cooling to pitching temp.

I did an all grain batch for a Kolsch:

10lb German Pilsner
1/2 Munich

90min mash at 150F
OG: 10.55
Batch size: 5.0g

I had to wait 2 days days before pitching the yeast, so I tossed it into the plastic fermentation bucket (was still hot from the kettle, let it cool in there to 60F) and drove it 40 miles to my apartment. 36 hours later I added the starter. Starter done with DME did have a somewhat similar smell, but I thought that may be due to the yeast as it is supposed to be sulfry.

Is this just from the sugars sitting around doing nothing, and should turn out fine in the end?

Thanks for any info/thoughts/eye-rolls!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Skaggz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How well did you keep the wort secure from airborne nasties for that day and a half? Maybe some wild yeast made their way in and it's diacetyl that you're smelling. Possible?

Also, how long did you boil that wort? You'll get quite a bit of DMS out of pilsner malt.

Primary 4: Chocolate Stout

Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

I tossed the hot wort into my primary fermenter (sanitized plastic bucket), tightly secured the lid (sanitized), and put in the airlock (sanitized, no water in lock though as it was being transported). Was just like I had pitched the yeast in it, but no water in the lock as it would suck the water in due to the cooling.

Wort was boiled for 60 minutes. Lid was put on to keep it safe and clean, 10 minutes later it was in the bucket.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
wacko
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Buttery smell and flavor can be a diactyl indicator. Seems like this is too early to be picking it up though.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Buttery smell and flavor can be a diactyl indicator. Seems like this is too early to be picking it up though.
That is what my research said, but yes, I thought it came from either infections or lag time in fermentation. Now, I did technically lag it by not putting yeast in it, but I don't think that makes much sense.

The wort tasted alright (drank a sip from the hydrometer), but had that sweet butter smell. Hopefully the yeast will just take care of that, as well as time.

Any more thoughts from y'all?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
donjonson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

why didn't you cool the wort before you put it in the primary?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
tlael
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjonson View Post
If it were cooled before putting it into the primary, this thread wouldn't exist.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjonson View Post
It doesn't matter at this point, nor is it really helpful, to reflect back on why I didn't cool it. But it is because I didn't have my chiller with me as I was brewing elsewhere, and I didn't have space in the car for it.

Besides, I didn't think/know it wad going to cause any issue, and I had at least 24 hours before I got back to where I could temperature control the brew.

I am not looking how to avoid this in the future (I know how), I wanted to know what happened and if I should be concerned.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are the buckets rated to take boiling wort? Maybe they leached out some funky material.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread23 View Post
Are the buckets rated to take boiling wort? Maybe they leached out some funky material.
I am uncertain. The bucket is from the LHBS meant fermentation, so I assume it is HDPE, and should be just fine for high temps. Those things are used to hold jam and other food goods that are damned hot when they are packaged, so I assume it is fine. The smell also isn't what I would say is plastic-like. Really screams the diacetyl, but I can't see how I got any yeasties in there before I pitched my own.