I'm old and crabby and will NOT read textspeak! - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I'm old and crabby and will NOT read textspeak!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #21
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts

"no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8".

OMGWTFBBQSAUZ!!!!1!!one

But seriously, I have never been into typing it, even "r", "c", "u" etc.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #22
Mermaid
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Bloomingdale, IL
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

You know what, Yoop? I'm with ya on this one.

I'm old and crabby and have spent too many damned years in the tech industry. I was "chatting" on IRC, messaging on Compuserve, when Mark Zuckerberg was still getting stuffed into lockers and wondering what planet girls came from.

I love technology, but it has bred a culture of lazy, apathetic uber dorks who don't seem to grasp the concept that communication still relies on being able to understand one another's language.

Cheers!

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 11-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #23
jevehn
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Alberta
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed! I can't stand reading that crap. I literally have to slow down and translate broken English into legible English. It takes 3 times longer to read it. It's almost like taking English, and kicking it in the nuts.

After taking 3 technical writing courses, it's all I can do not to take a red pen my laptop. I’m all for a casual forum, but come on!

Here's the rule. If you have access to a full keyboard, use it. You can use text speak only if you're somehow accessing homebrewtalk.com via a t9 phone.

<END RANT>

Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
PDawg
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Clarksvlle, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8".

Just looking at that makes my brain hurt.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
EoinMag
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin, Ireland.
Liked 61 Times on 40 Posts

hmm why would you want to use textspeak from a T9 phone, unless......it shows you up for the really bad spelling that you have. I know so many people who say they can't use predictive text and I am convinced it's just because they can't spell properly.

I'm a touch typist and to be honest it's easier to type out the whole words than to work out this new idiot language that as others have already said actually hurts the brain.

My friends and family know not to text me with that crap, cos I shoot back texts asking wtf they are on about.
A few abbreviations are fine, but this idea of dropping vowels from every word is just annoting crap.

no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
MBasile
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

****, I'm 23 and wont read that garbage. I had a gorgeous classmate that was a model but I refrained from having any sort of relations with her because she always left the H's off of "what" and nonsense like that. After my last relationship failed I regret making the decision to refrain

She also "doesn't like beer" so there's that...

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 11-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #27
bmud0314
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Albion, NY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does this mean the acronym SWMBO is off limits then?

laugh out loud.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

This could be your new avatar.

That is, if I didn't agree with you. Somehow I manage to write clomplete sentences using my smartphone keyboard. The may be poorly. Spelled and have the odd punctuation in the wrong place. But they still manage to be legible.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #29
kgfitz
Recipes 

Mar 2010
levittown, pa
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"no txtspk 4 me i c u r gr8"

I read a story in the internet (so it must be true ) about how people can get confused about what acronyms mean. There was a story where a woman in her 30's had a friend who lost her father. So she sent her a text message "sorry to hear about your loss LOL" she thought LOL was lots of love
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadtown View Post
If we were perfect the first time it wouldn't be much of a hobby now would it?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #30
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Liked 844 Times on 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmek View Post
me i c u r gr8
Wait! Why does the eighth grade need to be cured?