I'm old and crabby and will NOT read textspeak! - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I'm old and crabby and will NOT read textspeak!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #101
r8rphan
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Shingletown, CA
Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts

If you are looking for hypocrisy, you will always find it.. For that is by nature what humans are.. hypocrites...

I used the acronym "LOL" two posts after bashing the whole acronym concept...

But this whole 'social media' phenomenon has taken things to a totally 'absurd' level...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #102
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 8592 Times on 6915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
It's "Da" as in "Da Bears."
Yes - I know, as in midwestern slang for "The"....

hence my point.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #103
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rphan View Post
If you are looking for hypocrisy,
Kinda like your signature?

Ben never said that - what he did say was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Franklin
Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.
http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2008...in-on-beer.htm

Old 12-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #104
r8rphan
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Shingletown, CA

But see, You're trying to prove that something I got from the 'internet' that claims to be an authority, is false by pointing to something else on the 'internet' that claims to be an authority as 'evidence'...

So, unless you were there, how do you know for sure?
Then again, you call him "Benny" as if he was one of your childhood buddies.. so maybe you were there after all..
How old 'are' you anyways?

BTW, "Hypocrisy" relates to finding faults in others which we ourselves are guilty of.. If what you say is true (and we have no 'real' way of knowing whether Ben Franklin ever said what I have attributed to him as quote or not), then I would not be guilty of hypocrisy.. but rather 'error'.. (which is just being 'wrong')... Try and use the proper accusation next time...

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #105
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7703 Times on 5413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
It's "Da" as in "Da Bears."
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Yes - I know, as in midwestern slang for "The"....

hence my point.
Yuri has it right. It's NOT a midwestern slang term for "the". As we Yoopers are not cognizant of the fact that language can be subject to dialects or regional disfluencies, we just talk.

It's "da". Kinda like "yah". Except not.

Uff da. Youbetcha. Like that. Uff da doesn't mean "the" anything. It's just Uff da. It's untranslatable. Except if you've ever experienced an Uff da moment. Then you know.

For example, "hey dere". It's really not correctly substituted by "hey there". Because saying, "Hey there" makes no sense. But "hey dere" does. It means "Hi! What's happening?" in Yooperese.

Da Yooper's House Pale Ale doesn't really mean "The Yooper's House Pale Ale" because there is certainly more than one Yooper. It means DA Yooper's. As in THAT one. Da usually means "that" or "those", not "the". Because there are more than one.

ERGO, Da Bears. Da Yooper's House Pale Ale.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 AM   #106
r8rphan
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Shingletown, CA

LOL.. This is a great thread...

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

George Carlin

Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 AM   #107
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yuri has it right. It's NOT a midwestern slang term for "the". As we Yoopers are not cognizant of the fact that language can be subject to dialects or regional disfluencies, we just talk.

It's "da". Kinda like "yah". Except not.

Uff da. Youbetcha. Like that. Uff da doesn't mean "the" anything. It's just Uff da. It's untranslatable. Except if you've ever experienced an Uff da moment. Then you know.

For example, "hey dere". It's really not correctly substituted by "hey there". Because saying, "Hey there" makes no sense. But "hey dere" does. It means "Hi! What's happening?" in Yooperese.

Da Yooper's House Pale Ale doesn't really mean "The Yooper's House Pale Ale" because there is certainly more than one Yooper. It means DA Yooper's. As in THAT one. Da usually means "that" or "those", not "the". Because there are more than one.

ERGO, Da Bears. Da Yooper's House Pale Ale.
Somehow this seems appropriate about now

And yes - similar with the Apache Indians I work with: "o'er dere" means "over there" but not really...

Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #108
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rphan View Post
But see, You're trying to prove that something I got from the 'internet' that claims to be an authority, is false by pointing to something else on the 'internet' that claims to be an authority as 'evidence'...

So, unless you were there, how do you know for sure?

It all makes sense now....

Quote:
Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
is txt speak for:

Quote:
Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 AM   #109
r8rphan
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Shingletown, CA

Quote:
It all makes sense now....

is txt speak for:

Yeah.. That pretty much works!

Quote:
Damn, where's my arm?.

George Carlin

Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #110
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7703 Times on 5413 Posts

Quote:
And yes - similar with the Apache Indians I work with: "o'er dere" means "over there" but not really...
Exactly! oer dere really doesn't mean "over there" as you would think. It's the same way in the Northwoods. Saying "We go Green Bay" doesn't necessarily mean "We are going to Green Bay today". It might mean that in some point in the future we are going to Green Bay. Or perhaps we went yesterday. The tense isn't important in the least, and unnecessary modifiers are left out, as it doesn't really matter all that much.

A typical Yooper conversation:

Hey dere.
Hey dere.
Cold enough for ya?
Cripes sake. Bought blew da plow.
You betcha.
How 'bout dem Packers?
Cripes.
Nice talkin' to ya.
See youse.
Yah, see youse.

Really. Now, people from Maine will say that Mainers speak little. You haven't met many Yoopers who in the deepest conversation will offer those thoughts of "cripes", "uff da", and "cold enough for ya?" We have no other topics of conversations so that has to cover it.

Unless it's summer.

If summer falls on a Saturday, Yoopers have a picnic.