Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Beer not carbonated?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
cowboymcd82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer not carbonated?

Hey everyone, I just had a question.

I made a 5 gallon batch a few weeks ago, and 2 weeks ago, I bottled it using 5 oz. of corn sugar in the bottling bucket to prime. I put them in a closet, and left them to do work until now. (They sat at upper 60s - lower 70s in the closet this whole time)

A week ago, I tried one, and it was only partially carbonated; I figured it just wasn't ready.

Today, I popped a couple open -- both of them were the same -- a little carbonated, but basically flat. Delicious otherwise, but it's very disappointing if all of my beer's gonna be flat!

After 2 weeks, is it just still not ready yet? Should I let it age some more? Or is that it, I screwed up, and in the future I should do things differently? I'll still drink it, haha, I mean... it's beer! I just want to know if I should do anything different next time.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
AKbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Let them sit longer. My house is at 65f and some beers have taken 6 weeks, others three weeks. They will carb you just have to be patient. Dont drink them too soon.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
cowboymcd82
Recipes 

I read that it would take ~2 weeks to carb, and it's a fairly low-gravity brew (though I guess the yeast was pretty high-flocculation, I may have lost a lot bottling...). I just figured it'd be ready by now.

But I'll just let em sit and condition some more. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Generally it's 3 weeks at 70 to get fully carbonated. The lower the temp during conditioning, the longer the beer takes to get there. Your closet may be a little cool for fast carbonation. It's hard to wait but worth it.