Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Smaller Chillus Convolutus DIY

Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Navy_Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Smaller Chillus Convolutus DIY

Has anyone tried making something similar but smaller to the all copper Chillus Convolutus. I am looking at 3/8 inner tube and 1/2 outer. 10 ft lengths are relatively inexpensive from lowes and I think could be build fairly easily. I am looking to make my tools smaller to reduce my brewing footprint. I understand cooling may take a little longer but I am ok with that. i figure about 15 minutes to drain a 5.5 gallon batch.

I know many on here do the 25 ft garden hose counter flow, but a small coil hanging off the end of the boil kettle is very tempting.

Clay

Old 11-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I don't know of anyone who has made a mini-chiller as you described. I think it would work, but probably not as well as you anticipate. Much depends on the temperature of your cooling water and the wort flow rate. Cooling could not only take a little longer as you mentioned, but it could take a lot longer as well. Be advised that most soft copper tubing nominal sizing refers to the outside diameter. It doesn't look like you would have much clearance between the two for sufficient cooling water flow. I'm guessing on that though, so I could well be wrong. Here's some stolen info on ID's vs OD's for the tubing sizes specified: (keep in mind that not all soft copper tubing has these same dimensions as there are several different types available IIRC):

Size (O.D.) Size (I.D.)

3/8" 0.311"
1/2" 0.436"

You could easily do some trial test runs without much cost.