Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #191
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Them Scary Woods
Posts: 3,510
Liked 535 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default


I've re-worked this stout recipe and it came out much better in version 2.0. I have a few more tweaks due to an upgrade in equipment and will brew version 3.0 in 2014. The second version sat in the primary much longer than my usual beers (Four months) but still had cocoa powder issues. It still leaves cocoa streaks in the bottom of a serving glass and has virtually no head whatsoever. What this thread has taught me:

Mint flavor fades fast: Using the natural mint found in mint tea bags fades fast. In the first batch, I used extract at bottling and that did well, but it tasted a little bit more like a mint candy than a natural mint flavor. This second batch used natural mint from mint tea and tasted fine on brew day, but the flavor faded very quickly as was barely discernible at bottling. I had to bump it up again, with a very careful extract addition.

Fats are the enemy of head retention: Using cocoa powder introduces a lot more to the beer than just chocolate flavoring. There's a lot of oil and fat in it as well, and it just murders the head. Version 3.0 will use cacao nibs or more chocolate malt instead of cocoa powder.

Cocoa powder is impossible to rack off: No matter how long it sits in the primary, you can't get rid of all of the cocoa powder residue without filtering this beer. I let version 2.0 sit in the primary for FOUR MONTHS and still had plenty of suspended cocoa in the beer.
__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
aiptasia is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #192
BPal75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Millersville
Posts: 214
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Default


Great observations thanks. One thing to keep in mind is that chocolate malt doesn't really give a chocolate flavor, more coffee than chocolate. I think they just call it chocolate malt because if the color. I would go with cocoa nibs for chocolate flavor.
BPal75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #193
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
modernlifeisANDY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 554
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
I've re-worked this stout recipe and it came out much better in version 2.0. I have a few more tweaks due to an upgrade in equipment and will brew version 3.0 in 2014. The second version sat in the primary much longer than my usual beers (Four months) but still had cocoa powder issues. It still leaves cocoa streaks in the bottom of a serving glass and has virtually no head whatsoever. What this thread has taught me:

Mint flavor fades fast: Using the natural mint found in mint tea bags fades fast. In the first batch, I used extract at bottling and that did well, but it tasted a little bit more like a mint candy than a natural mint flavor. This second batch used natural mint from mint tea and tasted fine on brew day, but the flavor faded very quickly as was barely discernible at bottling. I had to bump it up again, with a very careful extract addition.

Fats are the enemy of head retention: Using cocoa powder introduces a lot more to the beer than just chocolate flavoring. There's a lot of oil and fat in it as well, and it just murders the head. Version 3.0 will use cacao nibs or more chocolate malt instead of cocoa powder.

Cocoa powder is impossible to rack off: No matter how long it sits in the primary, you can't get rid of all of the cocoa powder residue without filtering this beer. I let version 2.0 sit in the primary for FOUR MONTHS and still had plenty of suspended cocoa in the beer.
A few things regarding your notes that I find curious - as for the mint flavor from tea, I can agree partially. However, I have not found the mint flavor to fade too much - a bit, yes, but not to the degree that you describe.

Head retention - my personal experience over multiple brews of this recipe disagrees with your experience - I have had zero problems with head retention in this brew.

Cocoa in suspension - I have seen a small amount of cocoa remain in suspension, but barely a noticeable amount, certainly not after a four month primary. Even with a month in primary, I barely had any cocoa left in suspension.

In short - I think your notes are valid, but I also don't think they speak to the recipe in general. My personal experience over many brews has not been the same as yours, so I don't think they are universal, although they are definitely things to keep in mind.
__________________
Columbia Brewing | Plymouth, Massachusetts
columbiabrewing AT gmail DOT com

ON TAP
Empty kegs

FERMENTING
Nothing

ON DECK
Finishing my RIMS panel!
modernlifeisANDY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #194
02fx4dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 112
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


question - when using the mint tea bags in the boil, do you drop the tea bags in intact or cut them open and dump the contents into the boiling wort?

Also, I'm looking at the celestial seasonings mint tea, do you use peppermint or spearmint?

TIA
02fx4dude is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #195
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
modernlifeisANDY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 554
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post
question - when using the mint tea bags in the boil, do you drop the tea bags in intact or cut them open and dump the contents into the boiling wort?

Also, I'm looking at the celestial seasonings mint tea, do you use peppermint or spearmint?

TIA
I keep them whole, and I use peppermint.
__________________
Columbia Brewing | Plymouth, Massachusetts
columbiabrewing AT gmail DOT com

ON TAP
Empty kegs

FERMENTING
Nothing

ON DECK
Finishing my RIMS panel!
modernlifeisANDY is offline  
chawagi Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #196
J_P
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 6
Default


Andy,
This thread is awesome your brew sounds and looks amazing. I've only brewed two beers so far an Irish red and a honey blonde both extracts. O am starting with extracts and one day move to all grain. I guess what I'm getting at is, is there a way to make this with extracts?
Thanks
Josh
J_P is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #197
chawagi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spring Hill
Posts: 159
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default


Never been a stout guy, but this one sounded interesting. Brewed it back at the beginning of August, bottled around labor day weekend, and just started drinking them this week.

This beer is amazing. No issues with head retention or carbing. Nice blend of the chocolate and mint. Good creamy mouth feel. My batch carb-test plastic bottle was tight after about 5 days, so carbonation was super fast.
chawagi is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #198
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benton
Posts: 1,252
Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chawagi View Post
Never been a stout guy, but this one sounded interesting. Brewed it back at the beginning of August, bottled around labor day weekend, and just started drinking them this week.

This beer is amazing. No issues with head retention or carbing. Nice blend of the chocolate and mint. Good creamy mouth feel. My batch carb-test plastic bottle was tight after about 5 days, so carbonation was super fast.
What yeast did you end up using?
__________________
Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall
501irishred is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #199
chawagi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Spring Hill
Posts: 159
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
What yeast did you end up using?
I didn't have any WLP004 Irish Ale at the time, and my supplier was a bit behind, so I ended up using a 2nd generation US-05 that I washed from an Oaked Honey Wheat Ale I made in July. I will be rebrewing this stout recipe this weekend, minus the mint, with lactose added to make it into a sweet milk chocolate stout.

I will be using the WLP004 for this weekend's batch so we'll see if that affects ferm times at all. My supplier gets direct from WL though based on order requirements (i.e. he doesn't keep a stock, just orders as requested) so our yeasts are usually superfresh. My Irish Ale has an Aug 13 date stamp, so it should be good and strong.
chawagi is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #200
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benton
Posts: 1,252
Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default


Excellent. With multiple carb issues mentioned with the recipe, the more "what went right" stories the the better. Good ol US-05; the backup plan for all!
__________________
Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall
501irishred is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Mint Chocolate Stout eschatz Stout 150 06-28-2015 02:34 PM
All-Grain - Chocolate Coffee Stout (Chocolate Jitterz) FermentEd Stout 83 06-19-2015 05:20 PM
All-Grain - Five Horizons Chocolate Stout michael.berta Stout 16 11-21-2013 08:17 PM
Chocolate Stout anyone? Brewpastor Stout 4 03-02-2011 12:31 AM
Double Chocolate Stout z987k Stout 15 03-06-2009 12:31 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS