Looking for 8/10 Gal Brew Kettle - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > Looking for 8/10 Gal Brew Kettle

Old 11-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Pensacola, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So now that I am getting into mashes and a bigger boil, I am looking for a bigger brew kettle. Was thinking about getting an 8 Gal Megapot or a 10 Gal BoilerMaker. Just wanted to see if anyone was selling anything similar before I go pick one up. Figure if I can save some bucks and help out a fellow HBT member.

Fermenting: Belgian Triple
Drinking: Nothing :(

My Keezer Build aka "The Monstrosity"

Old 11-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
edecambra
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Tampa, Fl
Liked 67 Times on 59 Posts

I don't know if this would apply to you but, if you have a Sam's club membership you can buy a big aluminum pot from them for a great price. I just had one shipped to my house 10 gallon with a lid for about 45 dollars (shipped). It is not the thin cheap turkey fryer pot but a significantly thick pot. It is light and heats up fast.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...variance=40+qt.

you can get a 15 gallon for 43 dollars ( not shipped though)

Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Elshauno
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Dayton, Ohio

I have a 10 gallon Megapot. It is an awesome pot but you can get the exact pot without the fancy Megapot logo for much less. The MegaPot is made by Update International. http://www.instawares.com/stainless-...-sps40.0.7.htm You will want at least a 10 gallon if you ever decide to go to all grain. Bigger is always better You should also look at the stuff Jaybird has for sale since he is a vendor on here. Good Luck either way

Old 11-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
EFaden
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Rochester, New York
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I am also looking for something in the same realm.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Pensacola, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yea, I don't necessarily care about name brand as long as it is quality. I do like how they have the ball valve and thermo on the outside, just makes life a lot easier. And it does get easier with the false bottom since I know I will be taking the next step soon enough.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

I would advise to go ahead and get something BIGGER because the last thing you want is to get settled into a pot and decide to step up in batch size and have to sell it and start over.

I got a Bayou Classic stock pot that was about nine gallons. After only three five-gallon brews, I got really comfortable with process and decided to do eight gallon batches and ferment in 10 gallon corny kegs. Well, it is possible to do eight gallons in a nine gallon pot, but not very safe. So I sold my pot to someone intending to convert a keg into a boil pot. By then, of course, I had spent more than I was keeping track of and didn't really recoup my initial investment in the very nice kettle I started with. So I had to sell the keg to make some money back and now I'm not brewing because I've got nothing to brew in and a spending category in the red.

I said, "I'll never need to go bigger than five gallons". Now I can't even brew that.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Pensacola, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
I would advise to go ahead and get something BIGGER because the last thing you want is to get settled into a pot and decide to step up in batch size and have to sell it and start over.

I said, "I'll never need to go bigger than five gallons". Now I can't even brew that.
Yea, that is what I did. I first purchased a 6 Gal when I started doing extract batches. After that I did a couple of Partial Mashes and used my friends pot to do a 6.5 Gal boil. I feel as if I am going to get the 10 Gal as a better investment.