Belgian Dubbel Ommegang Abbey Dubbel - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Belgian Dubbel Ommegang Abbey Dubbel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #31
fastasaturtle
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Mechanicsville, MD
Posts: 18
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Just bottled this yesterday and it came out great. Got stuck at 1.020 but still came out at 8.3% abv. I have tweaked a few things with my process and brewed it again, so we'll see if it finishes out a little lower than the first try...
Really looking forward to cracking open the first bottle, thanks Gordon!

GordonT Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #32
GordonT
 
GordonT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Victoria, BC
Posts: 156
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasaturtle View Post
Just bottled this yesterday and it came out great. Got stuck at 1.020 but still came out at 8.3% abv. I have tweaked a few things with my process and brewed it again, so we'll see if it finishes out a little lower than the first try...
Really looking forward to cracking open the first bottle, thanks Gordon!
You're welcome Turtle. Nothing better than helping someone make good beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
gifty74
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Lancaster, PA
Posts: 269
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post

You're very welcome. Glad that it turned out for you. I just finished a keg that was brewed in June and I was sad to see it go. As soon as Xmas is over I'm brewing this again with the same recipe but using several variations in the brewing process that I have since learned about. Should be even better this time around.
So Gordon, what was it that you learned about your brewing process that you would do differently the next time you brewed it?

I assume this one you would want to mash a bit on the high side, say 155°?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
GordonT
 
GordonT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Victoria, BC
Posts: 156
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
So Gordon, what was it that you learned about your brewing process that you would do differently the next time you brewed it?

I assume this one you would want to mash a bit on the high side, say 155°?
No the opposite. This has enough unfermentables that the FG is going to be relatively high anyway. I would mash lower and longer. Say 146 - 152 for 60 minutes. I've also taken to adding the sugar just after high krausen.
Doing this again I plan to slightly reduce the malt and slightly increase the sugar to make it drier, or as the Belgians say "digestible".
I've been playing with spice timings and would add the Coriander at 5 rather than knock out. I've also found that licorice is extremely sweet and any amount of it adds a LOT of sweetness to a beer so I've switched to Star Anise and a smaller amount.
Ferment warm, don't be in a rush to see it finish. My last few beers with these changes have improved tremendously.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #35
gifty74
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Lancaster, PA
Posts: 269
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts


So how does Star anise compare to licorice as far as flavor?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
GordonT
 
GordonT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Victoria, BC
Posts: 156
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
So how does Star anise compare to licorice as far as flavor?
Very similar but without the added sweetness. Star anise is available at most supermarkets. If you can find some fresh in the spice department spend a $1 or 2 and taste it yourself. I frequently use this in Chinese and South East Asian recipes and find it aromatic and pleasant.

It certainly works well in beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #37
boozehoundbrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
chicago, IL
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Great recipe. Just tasted mine this weekend while I was racking to the secondary. Very pleasant flavors, and looking forward to drinking the rest in November and December.

FYI - I added 2oz candied ginger and 1/4 C honey @ 10 min in addition to the orange peel. (Skipped the coriander because I thought it would be redundant with the ginger). I'll let you know how it turns out when I start drinking the finished product.

Thanks so much.
__________________
Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #38
GordonT
 
GordonT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Victoria, BC
Posts: 156
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehoundbrew View Post
Great recipe. Just tasted mine this weekend while I was racking to the secondary. Very pleasant flavors, and looking forward to drinking the rest in November and December.

FYI - I added 2oz candied ginger and 1/4 C honey @ 10 min in addition to the orange peel. (Skipped the coriander because I thought it would be redundant with the ginger). I'll let you know how it turns out when I start drinking the finished product.

Thanks so much.
It gets even better with some age and carbonation. The coridander does add a unique flavour but yours sounds pretty tasty.
__________________
“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #39
psubrewer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
worcester, ma
Posts: 151
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts


Made this a few months back. Turned out excellent, the yeast is really the star here I think.

I used plain old 2 row instead of lager malt and it still turned out great.

Added star anise instead of licorice root, wish I had backed off a bit but it it seems to be mellowing out with age.

Thanks for the recipe, will definitely be making it again!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #40
GordonT
 
GordonT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Victoria, BC
Posts: 156
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by psubrewer View Post
Made this a few months back. Turned out excellent, the yeast is really the star here I think.

I used plain old 2 row instead of lager malt and it still turned out great.

Added star anise instead of licorice root, wish I had backed off a bit but it it seems to be mellowing out with age.

Thanks for the recipe, will definitely be making it again!
Tweaking is as good as reason as any to make it again. Glad you enjoyed it.
__________________
“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ommegang Abbey Ale Hoppocrates Recipes/Ingredients 5 05-14-2012 12:10 AM
Ommegang abbey clone? johnyvilla Recipes/Ingredients 26 01-28-2012 04:30 PM
Ommegang Abbey Ale Recipe AG runnermikedmd Recipes/Ingredients 3 11-16-2010 12:22 AM
Ommegang Abbey Recipe? Something similar at least? kinkothecarp General Beer Discussion 2 05-14-2010 03:34 PM
BYO Ommegang Abbey Clone mgo737 Recipes/Ingredients 5 03-25-2010 11:06 PM


Forum Jump