Brew stand build! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Brew stand build!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
bcray
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Lubbock, TX
Posts: 26


I don't have the capability or ability to weld, so I enlisted the help of my dad in building a brewing rig. I'll have to drive from Lubbock to San Antonio to pick it up, but it'll be worth it.

I wanted it to be gravity fed, all the way to the fermenter. That meant a pretty tall stand but I'm cool with that. He even included hooks for hanging utensils and a little shelf. Thought I'd show off his excellent handiwork. I have yet to get a total cost from him, but it should be around $250. Pretty good deal. Thanks, Dad!

This is a video he made of him testing out the plumbing after getting it all in place. Burners are on the top and bottom and can be controlled independently. Cooler mash tun in the middle.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
MitHefe
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Beautifuly done. Very elegant in its simplicity. Perfect for making great beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
Planeinsane
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Discovery Bay
Posts: 28

That is VERY NICE! just a couple of questions though...1.What is the coating? If it is powder coated, the research i have done is that powder coating wont handle high temp...like you will experience when the kettles are on. 2. no burner on the mashtun?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
JonW's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Huntington Beach ☼
Posts: 2,015
Liked 248 Times on 155 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeinsane View Post
If it is powder coated, the research i have done is that powder coating wont handle high temp...
I just had mine powder coated. The coating is rated for 1200 degrees. It is a special high-temp powder, not the standard stuff. I've used it twice so far (1 test run, 1 brew session) and it still looks just fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,030
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bcray View Post
I don't have the capability or ability to weld, so I enlisted the help of my dad in building a brewing rig. I'll have to drive from Lubbock to San Antonio to pick it up, but it'll be worth it.

I wanted it to be gravity fed, all the way to the fermenter. That meant a pretty tall stand but I'm cool with that. He even included hooks for hanging utensils and a little shelf. Thought I'd show off his excellent handiwork. I have yet to get a total cost from him, but it should be around $250. Pretty good deal. Thanks, Dad!

This is a video he made of him testing out the plumbing after getting it all in place. Burners are on the top and bottom and can be controlled independently. Cooler mash tun in the middle.
Vey nice. But, now ask your Dad to teach you welding skills. Old guys might know more than you think....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
FoundersBrew
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Rockwall, TX
Posts: 218
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeinsane View Post
That is VERY NICE! just a couple of questions though...1.What is the coating? If it is powder coated, the research i have done is that powder coating wont handle high temp...like you will experience when the kettles are on. 2. no burner on the mashtun?
He is using a cooler

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
Sograte
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1

You have a beautiful piece of art there, I would love to see it when you get it back to Lubbock.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
mr_cad
 
mr_cad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 99
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Yea very nice. I would like to see that thing upclose one day. Are you part of the Lubbock Ale-ians? I am in Amarillo. Howdy neighbor!
__________________
(1 Timothy 5:23) . . .Do not drink water any longer, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Espi
 
Espi's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Tempe, AZ
Posts: 166
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


That is awesome! The only thing I would change is, you should have driven to San Antonio ahead of time and built it with your pops.. I bet he would have dug it and you would have lernt a thing or two from the ole man.

Anyway.. that is a good looking setup. Simple and straight forward. Its going to make great beer!
__________________
When in darkness... when in doubt... run in circles... scream and shout!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preparing to build brew stand stockwes Brew Stands 4 11-04-2010 04:03 PM
questions on brew stand build OHIOSTEVE Brew Stands 1 06-07-2010 10:54 PM
Another Single Tier brew stand build. johnnyo1977 Brew Stands 13 04-01-2010 09:18 PM
My Brew Build - Elm Street Brewery - Part 5 - The Stand and Setup DarkSide Brew Stands 4 02-03-2010 01:10 AM
Brew stand build - almost complete! Brewme Brew Stands 2 06-10-2009 03:01 AM


Forum Jump