Batch sparge vs. Single sparge? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge vs. Single sparge?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
jmf143
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Wixom, Michigan
Posts: 608
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts


What do you do in the bathroom - 1 wipe with a huge handfull of toilet paper, or more than 1 wipe with less paper? Let that be your guide.


__________________
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,088
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
What do you do in the bathroom - 1 wipe with a huge handfull of toilet paper, or more than 1 wipe with less paper? Let that be your guide.
Cute, but not at all relevant. Many homebrewers get carried away in the efficiency race and chase a % instead of quality wort. 1st runnings are always the highest quality wort. For just a few dollars more in grain, all your wort can be 1st runnings and you don't have to worry about tannin extraction, etc. The math is simpler for no-sparge too.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
Reelale
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Posts: 17,742
Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts


^^^^ Yep. Well said. Concise, yet absolutely accurate.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,823
Liked 493 Times on 334 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Brew View Post
OK, correct me if I'm wrong:

No-Sparge: mashing without sparging or "rinsing", so your first runnings are all your pre-boil wort. For example, Brew-In-A-Bag. Or, let's say I use 8 gal of water for the mash all at once, so I get 6 gallons out for pre-boil. No sparge = no rinsing grains.

Batch sparge: remove your first runnings, pour sparge water in, stir the hell out of it, let the sparge water (now wort) out. You can batch sparge once, or divide it to 2 or more "step-sparges".

Fly-Sparge = continuous sparge. You add the new water continuously from the top while removing your wort from the bottom.
Further clarification based on what's been discussed in this thread:

So there are two types of no-sparge?

no-sparge 1: mash with your total pre-boil volume, and at end of mash you mix, vorlouf and drain.

no-sparge 2: mash at whatever ratio you like (1.25 qt/lb or whatever), and at end of mash you add whatever volume of water gets you to your pre-boil, mix, vorlouf and drain.

Is this right?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
Reelale
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Posts: 17,742
Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Further clarification based on what's been discussed in this thread:

So there are two types of no-sparge?

no-sparge 1: mash with your total pre-boil volume, and at end of mash you mix, vorlouf and drain.

no-sparge 2: mash at whatever ratio you like (1.25 qt/lb or whatever), and at end of mash you add whatever volume of water gets you to your pre-boil, mix, vorlouf and drain.

Is this right?
Other than BIAB, no-sparge requires recirculating the wort during the entire mash. There is no vorlauf. Well, it is a continuous vorlauf throughout the mash. Without recirculation, you'd get terrible efficiency. And the no-sparge 2 method you describe is really just a batch sparge without draining the first runnings prior to sparging.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 51,288
Liked 8247 Times on 6709 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Cute, but not at all relevant. Many homebrewers get carried away in the efficiency race and chase a % instead of quality wort. 1st runnings are always the highest quality wort. For just a few dollars more in grain, all your wort can be 1st runnings and you don't have to worry about tannin extraction, etc. The math is simpler for no-sparge too.
This has been long debated on HBT and I have yet to see anything concrete on the subject (imagine that - homebrewers debating something that for the most part, doesn't really matter )

Highest quality wort as measured by: ? (I'm just curious, not being an a**).

Tannin extraction appears to be a boogyman in my opinion, if your temps and pH are in acceptable ranges...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
Reelale
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Posts: 17,742
Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Highest quality wort as measured by: ? (I'm just curious, not being an a**).
Gravity.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #18
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,823
Liked 493 Times on 334 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
Other than BIAB, no-sparge requires recirculating the wort during the entire mash. There is no vorlauf. Well, it is a continuous vorlauf throughout the mash. Without recirculation, you'd get terrible efficiency.
This is news to me. I don't understand why mash recirculation is required for no-sparge as they are two separate parts of the brewing process (mash vs. sparge). Also, the main reason to vorluaf is to remove grain particulates/sediments from the runnings before they go into the brew kettle...I would guess you would want to do this regardless of the sparge procedure...even no sparge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
And the no-sparge 2 method you describe is really just a batch sparge without draining the first runnings prior to sparging.
Not according to earlier posters (and hence my question):

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
Here are some differences:

What you call single sparge [referring to the OP] is really like "no sparge".
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
Maida7 is right on on the descriptions. You have detailed a batch sparge and a no sparge.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #19
devilishprune
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Posts: 1,240
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Broadbill, you were correct.

Your first is a no sparge with no mashout, and your second is (probably, depending on temperature of the water you add) no sparge WITH a mashout.

With a no sparge, you don't have to recirculate the whole time. Recirculation amounts to a continuous vorlauf. You can manually vorlauf a few times and get similar results.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,088
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
This has been long debated on HBT and I have yet to see anything concrete on the subject (imagine that - homebrewers debating something that for the most part, doesn't really matter )

Highest quality wort as measured by: ? (I'm just curious, not being an a**).

Tannin extraction appears to be a boogyman in my opinion, if your temps and pH are in acceptable ranges...
No, it's a valid question. 1st, I would say based upon the knowledged opinions of those who've actually said it repeatedly - Dr. Bamforth, Palmer, Zainasheff, etc. 2nd, I would say based on my own personal, horrifically opinionated, taste tests. When I batch sparged, I could easily detect husk and tanin flavors even from the 2nd runnings.

Basic Brewing listeners / BYO readers probably know that there's an experiment going on right now to test the actual differences in the finished beer sparge methods make. I'm definitely participating - going to compare my CB20 (no sparge) to fly sparge. Should be fun and informative.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single batch sparge with specified gravity of final runnings DeafSmith All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 07-24-2010 06:56 PM
Head Spinning: Fly Sparge, Batch Sparge, Hybrid Fly Sparge williamgardner All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 02-08-2010 04:07 PM
Single or Double Batch Sparge... Hawgbranch All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 11-21-2009 04:08 PM
How to Batch Sparge with one pump & single tier Brewme All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 05-28-2009 01:37 PM
Batch sparge - single or double? cee3 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 06-20-2008 06:20 PM


Forum Jump